PDA

View Full Version : Car vs. Summer sun

metload1
01-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Hey,

After doing a lot of reading (especially on this forum) I`ve come to the conclusion that a car cover is only something that you want to use as a last resort. For every person who likes car covers there is usually another person saying that they would never use one. It also seems like most of the materials the covers are made of are not very soft and would mar up the paint pretty bad. I know that a good layer of wax or acrylic sealant (like Klasse for instance) will offer good protection for your car, so I`m wondering, as long as I constantly keep a good layer of protectant on my car all summer long, do you think I`ll be able to keep the paint in like-new condition? I detail quite often so it won`t be a problem for me to keep it protected, but I`ve never had a car have to sit outside 24/7 before, and I don`t know if sealants are quite enough to battle hours of direct sunlight everyday. What do you think? Can I keep the paint nice with proper care, or do I need a car cover?

BTW I live in the Midwest.

Thanks!

BigJimZ28
01-05-2007, 01:18 AM
I think it depends on how much you drive the car also

if it is a daily driver then I think the cover is a bad idea

if it is a toy car that only gets used on the weekends and for shows it

would be stupid not to have one

metload1
01-05-2007, 10:05 PM
It`s a daily driver, but it`s in near mint condition, it`s been garage parket for 6 years. That`s why I`m torn, but what you`re saying makes sense, if it`s a daily driver the cover has to be taken off and put back on everyday, which would probably mar the paint.

Will a sealant provide proper protection? Or do I have to just put up with marred up paint?

Joshua312
01-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Hey from the Midwest and a fellow GTP owner :dance

I would put a nice layer of sealant on your vehicle and do ONR washes when needed. Your paint should stay pretty much marr free. Jeff`s Werkstatt AJT or Aquawax would be a good choice as after every 3 washes or something you can easily refresh your LSP. Definitely do not use the car cover! Just keep maintaining it as you already are and you should be good to go!