PDA

View Full Version : My first detailing product, how`d I do?

csj0952
01-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Alright, I just got a new Acura TSX 3 weeks ago. It is carbon gray with a black interior.

I live in Rochester, NY which is upstate and usually full of snow and salty roads so my goal currently is to get my new car looking new through the winter with a good protection.

I am a newbie to car detailing and I wanted products that are easy to use and hard to screw your car up with. I will eventually go the porter cable route when I get good at washing without one first.

I purchased from a online vendor the following supplies which he recommended:

12 for 10 Yellow Supreme Microfiber towels deal $ 24.90

Excel Monterey Waffle Weave Drying Towel $ 10.49

Excel 4`` Yellow Foam Applicators $ 1.99

Duragloss 441 Leather Shampoo (8oz) $ 5.99

Duragloss 221 Leather Conditioner (8oz) $ 7.99

303 Protectant (16oz) $ 14.89

Duragloss 111 Clear Coat Polish 8oz $ 8.99

Duragloss 105 TPP (Total Performance Polish) 16oz $ 9.99

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay (Refill 3oz) $ 10.99

Four Star Ultimate Tire Protectant Gel $ 12.89

Stoner`s Invisible Glass $3

Also purchased separately

Meguiars Gold Class Cleaning & Detailing Kit $30 which includes

16 oz. Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo

24 oz. Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

14 oz. Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Paste Wax (will not be used)

24 oz. Meguiars Gold Class Spray Detailer (to be used with the above Sonus clay)

Meguiars Gold Class Quik Detail Pad

Meguiars Versa-Angle Wide Body Brush

Meguiars Versa-Angle Wheel Face Brush

How did I do? Is there anything I missed or I should change with this order? What are the chances I mess up my car and put swirl marks in?

MattPersman
01-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Alright, I just got a new Acura TSX 3 weeks ago. It is carbon gray with a black interior.

I live in Rochester, NY which is upstate and usually full of snow and salty roads so my goal currently is to get my new car looking new through the winter with a good protection.

I am a newbie to car detailing and I wanted products that are easy to use and hard to screw your car up with. I will eventually go the porter cable route when I get good at washing without one first.

I purchased from a online vendor the following supplies which he recommended:

12 for 10 Yellow Supreme Microfiber towels deal $ 24.90

Excel Monterey Waffle Weave Drying Towel $ 10.49

Excel 4`` Yellow Foam Applicators $ 1.99

Duragloss 441 Leather Shampoo (8oz) $ 5.99

Duragloss 221 Leather Conditioner (8oz) $ 7.99

303 Protectant (16oz) $ 14.89

Duragloss 111 Clear Coat Polish 8oz $ 8.99

Duragloss 105 TPP (Total Performance Polish) 16oz $ 9.99

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay (Refill 3oz) $ 10.99

Four Star Ultimate Tire Protectant Gel $ 12.89

Stoner`s Invisible Glass $3

Also purchased separately

Meguiars Gold Class Cleaning & Detailing Kit $30 which includes

16 oz. Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo

24 oz. Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

14 oz. Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Paste Wax (will not be used)

24 oz. Meguiars Gold Class Spray Detailer (to be used with the above Sonus clay)

Meguiars Gold Class Quik Detail Pad

Meguiars Versa-Angle Wide Body Brush

Meguiars Versa-Angle Wheel Face Brush

How did I do? Is there anything I missed or I should change with this order? What are the chances I mess up my car and put swirl marks in?

looks good, I think I would have gotten the Duragloss 601 instead of the 111, considering the 105 and 111 do pretty much the same thing (use as your LSP) the 105 is there newest and best sealant at this time. its more about your supplies and process that will help you not put swirl marks in your car. I have never used the body brush, I am guessing it should not swirl, for washing Walmart sheepskin mitts are popular as are the Edge Shmitts gaining in popularity if you do not have the results you hoped with the brush

MBurnickas
01-04-2007, 10:58 PM
The most important thing if you want to avoid swirls is a good quality wash mitt. I use a Sheepskin personally, in my opinion they are much better than that body brush. Also, wash often, when dirt and grime dry, the chances for swirls are very high.

csj0952
01-05-2007, 03:03 AM
Patrick of Excel Detail`s response:

"I disagree. The 601 is a bonding agent. In my experience, I didnt find any added value in using it. The 111 is a pure sealant, the 105 is a cleaner, with a little sealant built in, which is perfect for hand application. I still think the 111 is a much better sealant then 105, ...MUCH better. 111 is disgustingly easy to use, and leaves no oils remaining, and will pick up where 105 leaves off. Thus, you build a nice clean base with 105, then build the base and seal more completely with 111.

601 and 111 will not clean at all. 105/111 cleans and protects, 2 fold."