PDA

View Full Version : What is good for getting bugs off/

Jellyrolls
04-21-2005, 08:44 PM
I have tried a bug and tar remover..and it just doesn`t work...they are all over my headlights, front bumper, and liscence plate..

help please ! :D :headbang

MS22
04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
The Porsche Tequiptment product works well with its own bug sponge, the downside is the shipping and cost. Autoglym Tar remover would probably also work well since I have seen it take off nasty bugs and tar like nothing. Locally your best bets would be either a good claying or even some gasoline (kerosene, mineral spirits) on a junk MF. If none of the above work I would assume the paint is actually etched and you will have to aggressively polish or even wetsand to remove the marks. Good luck.

CharlesW
04-21-2005, 09:40 PM
You might want to try one of these.
Bug Sponge (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html)

Probably the best thing you can do is keep a good coat of wax/sealant on the front of your vehicle. Usually a good soaking with my wash solution while I do another area seems to soften them up enough to wash off pretty easily when I come back to the area.
I do have one of the "Bug Sponges", but I have never needed to use it.

Charles

Boss_429
04-21-2005, 10:02 PM
I do have one of the "Bug Sponges", but I have never needed to use it.

Charles Jeezzzzzzzzz.......... how bout letting at least one bug hit your car...... and let us know how the sponge works for crying out loud! :lmfao :rolling

Seriously, if that is truly safe, I would love to try it. I drive to work extremely early in the morning and every bug in the state seems to have their sights set on my vehicle. Fortunately, as Charles said........ a good protective coating helps.

bigron62
04-21-2005, 10:37 PM
try a good power washer ..id be lost without mine

norahcrv
04-22-2005, 12:43 AM
You might have all the bugs in PA lining up to take target practice on your vehicle, but we have our own here in AZ determined to hit me on my early a.m. commute :(

I`ve been using Poorboys (not yet released) Bug Squash (cut 3:1) with great results. He was including a 16 oz. bottle with every $35 order. Don`t know if the offer is still valid - Steve? :dunno

Is that the sponge that Dwayne recommended at one time? I recall he said that the sponge was safe when it was soaking wet. I bought one, but haven`t had the need (or courage) to try it yet. :confused:

travisdecpn
04-22-2005, 01:18 AM
I use Meg`s APC diluted 20:1, I get the vehicle wet, spray it on the surface and let it sit. After it has sat for about 5 minutes, I simply hose it off and that removes about 80% of them. Of course, I have to wax that area again since the APC most likely removed whatever was on the surface.

CharlesW
04-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Jeezzzzzzzzz.......... how bout letting at least one bug hit your car...... and let us know how the sponge works for crying out loud! :lmfao :rollingActually, I do get quite a few bug splats, but the car wash soak seems to loosen them up enough that the wash mitt takes care of them. I do think the UPP is a factor in how easy they are to remove.

Is that the sponge that Dwayne recommended at one time? I recall he said that the sponge was safe when it was soaking wet. I bought one, but haven`t had the need (or courage) to try it yet.Yes it is. I would have posted a link to PAC, but I couldn`t find it on the PAC site.

Charles

BlackSunshine
04-22-2005, 07:15 AM
I have a bug sponge and have used it with great success, but as charles says....a good soaking should loosen them up so that you just have to use your mitt if you have any protection what so ever on you vehicle. And yes, using it when you wash is quite safe...with the soap for lube and all. I wouldn`t try it dry, but that`s just me. They are great for windshields coated with bugs.

JaredPointer
04-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Poorboy`s Bug Squash. As a famous and wise `person` used to say (and still sometimes does), "Ooooooooooooh Yeah!"

Craigster
04-22-2005, 08:51 AM
I agree...Poorboys Bug Squash diluted at 3:1...Removes bugs in seconds for me without removing the EX. Awesome stuff.

Boss_429
04-22-2005, 09:29 AM
OK........ OK....... so I`m going to get the Bug Sponge and the Bug Squash......... that will fix them! :D