PDA

View Full Version : any wheel sealant non believers here?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

imported_steveo3002
01-03-2007, 06:38 AM
just wondered if anyone else doesnt buy into the wheel sealant thing?:nixweiss

they mostly seem to claim that the product leaves behind some kind of mega high temp protective shield behind, my thinking is nothing leaves behind more that a microscopic layer , certainly nothing thick enough to form a sheild between the wheel and hot brake dust, and the high temp claim, well our regular bunch of favorite waxes and sealants are used in what i imagine must be close to the same temp (i.e a black hood parked in the AZ sun) so if our regular bunch of products wont hold up to heat, why dont they sell special waxes to suit hotter sunny climates

anyone got any thoughts? im thinking if your happy to use whatever wax/sealant on your $$$$$$$ car body then it should hold up just fine on the wheels too

BobD
01-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I`ve said this before. The black hood in the sun does not come close to the temps your wheels get, especially under heavy stop and go braking. Just a trip to your local road course and you will see brakes glowing red hot. Even on the equator I have never seen a car`s hood glow red hot. But, if you are happy using regular wax on your wheels and it does the trick for you I say stick with it.

imported_steveo3002
01-03-2007, 07:57 AM
surley if were talking track cars or hard driven, there could be a red hot turbo inches under the hood?

im not here to bad mouth wheel sealant...just trying to get a understanding if theyre a genuine good idea or a marketing trick to sell a extra product

imported_Bence
01-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Then a wheel sealant with good optics should work excellent on the body too...

cwcad
01-03-2007, 08:10 AM
I use wheel sealants for the wheels and paint sealants for the vehicle`s paint. The same as I use polishes for swirl removal. I also use products from manufacturers that I trust. Not from hype but from hands on experience.

If you are satisfied with a paint sealant protecting your wheels far be it for me to try and get you to change. For my vehicles I read the directions of the products of manufacturers that I trust and apply as directed.

BobD
01-03-2007, 08:11 AM
surley if were talking track cars or hard driven, there could be a red hot turbo inches under the hood?

im not here to bad mouth wheel sealant...just trying to get a understanding if theyre a genuine good idea or a marketing trick to sell a extra product

Oh I know you are not bad mouthing. Like I said, if a standard wax works fine for you then so be it. Personally, I use Blitz Wax on my wheels and not a wheel sealant. I was simply stating the "reason" behind the special wheel sealants.

Setec Astronomy
01-03-2007, 08:11 AM
I`ve said this before. The black hood in the sun does not come close to the temps your wheels get, especially under heavy stop and go braking. Just a trip to your local road course and you will see brakes glowing red hot.

Yeah, but you don`t have wheel wax on your rotors. I have never gotten my wheels too hot to touch (I have never driven on the track), but my hood has gotten that way plenty of times. Besides that, if your wheel was getting anywhere near red hot...you`d be in a lot of trouble with your tires, and I think your wheel wax would be a distant concern.

We`ve been around this discussion before and IMO wheels on a street car don`t get as hot as a dark car in the summer sun. And I agree with Bence, if wheel sealant/wax is so good, it should be fine on the body...which just makes it another wax/sealant with a different marketing approach.

BobD
01-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Then a wheel sealant with good optics should work excellent on the body too...

I don`t see why not....as long as you are happy with the looks and performance on the paint.

imported_steveo3002
01-03-2007, 08:15 AM
has anyone ever proved at what point a product fails to protect?? like zaino, klasse and so on

ive seen wheels where the hot particles seem to have melted into the wheel`s finish..i just cant see how any product would stop that?

and how come some of the most respected and oldest companys have no wheel wax products

the way i see it:) its like how zymol sell you a red wax for a red car, black for black , italian wax for italian cars (what if you have a red itailan car:idea ) no doubt theyre decent products but i feel its just to sell extra products when one would do just fine

socommatthews
01-03-2007, 08:31 AM
i just use OCW on my rims and it seems to keep the dust off and keeps the water from spotting so quickly.

imported_Dave1
01-03-2007, 08:31 AM
has anyone ever proved at what point a product fails to protect?? like zaino, klasse and so on

ive seen wheels where the hot particles seem to have melted into the wheel`s finish..i just cant see how any product would stop that?

I don`t know about Klasse but, I use wax and sometimes Z2 on my polished clear coated wheels. As far as durability, don`t hold your breath. For me it helps keep brake dust down and they are easier to clean next time around. I`ve heard about Zoop for just polished wheels but, I don`t know anyone who has tried it....

percynjpn
01-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Yeah, but you don`t have wheel wax on your rotors. I have never gotten my wheels too hot to touch (I have never driven on the track), but my hood has gotten that way plenty of times. Besides that, if your wheel was getting anywhere near red hot...you`d be in a lot of trouble with your tires, and I think your wheel wax would be a distant concern.

What you`re saying is excellent common sense. I HAVE driven on the track (on limited occasions) - and I can`t say how hot the wheels got as i didn`t touch them - but for a road car, I know from experience that your wheels don`t get anywhere near as hot as your hood, with a hot engine, in the summer sun.

sspeer
01-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I don`t see the typical road driven car`s wheel getting that hot.

I would think the rotational forces and brake dust would be the worst enemies.

coupe
01-03-2007, 09:13 AM
I dont see the point myself.

If you wash once a week or every 2 weeks there really is no need to use a sealant.

It may be useful to use a sealant in the winter but even then i can only see it being useful if you have polished aluminum rims.

SpoiledMan
01-03-2007, 09:40 AM
I must admit that I bought into the hype but I also bought a lot of other stuff. I have had the hood on my black car so hot that I couldn`t touch it.......and the sun wasn`t out.