PDA

View Full Version : My take on Griots Interior Cleaner

silvergray
01-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey guys,

I have been using Griot`s Interior Cleaner on my BMW with success for a while, but I think I may stop...

I was cleaning our Explorer the other day, and I sprayed some on the vinyl/plastic armrest, and let it sit for a minute or two. I came back from cleaning the door panels only to watch the tan dye run all over the place!

Aparently this stuff can eat the dye off of vinyl, painted plastic and leather! (I also used a little on a stubborn area of the leather seat - runs galore!)

Needless to say, I was pretty upset. I think I may stick with Meguiar`s QID or Woolite/Water in the future! Be careful with this stuff!

optimusp517
01-02-2007, 12:22 AM
That`s why they always say a little goes a long way cause this stuff when I wipe down my interior with it it kinda takes the color away a lil, but then I have to dress it up. I`m not sure what`s a good interior cleaner out there, but any markings and what not I`m not too afraid of them cause steel wool will help take them off right away. Just need some sort of a liquid to moisturize it

Pennypacker
01-02-2007, 01:06 AM
That`s interesting. I haven`t seen that problem, but maybe I`ve just been lucky or happen to have avoided those areas that would run. Maybe I`ll just stick with my 1Z CP, which I`ve used everywhere in the interior and know will not cause any issues.

TGates
01-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Hmmm... I`ve never had any problems with Griot`s Interior Cleaner. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Rockfish66
01-02-2007, 10:57 AM
I`ve used it too, with no problems.

I do, however, thin k it states somewhere on the bottle or the website that non-vat-dyed-leather may run or bleed with this product.

I can`t imagine your vinyl is surface dyed?

Always best to "test in an inconspicuous area" first, like they say!

Accumulator
01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Huh...add me to the "that never happened for me" list :think:

I too have had color transfer from some leathers, but never from vinyl. In fact, one of the reasons I use Griot`s is its (perceived) mildness.

Wonder what they`d say if you called them up and asked about it. Stripping the dye from vinyl doesn`t happen every day.

imported_Surfer
01-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Two of our trucks are an Explorer and Mountaineer, I use Opitmum Protectant Plus and I know others who use the DP interior stuff, no runs or anything like you mentioned. I` ve also used a citrus degreaser before in the interior panels with no ill effects.

TGates
01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
At one point, Griot`s advertised that Daimler-Chrysler was using their Interior Cleaner at the build plant for I believe Dakota`s, Durangos, maybe some mini vans, on the seats before they were put in the vehicle.