PDA

View Full Version : Plexus on car finish?

ramp
12-31-2006, 05:38 PM
I have heard that Plexus is a good way to polish your car`s finish. I don`t agree w/ that but would like to know what the detail experts here think. PLEASE HELP.

gmblack3
12-31-2006, 08:49 PM
"polish your cars finish?" Do you mean to be used with a machine?

I am pretty sure plexus was not intended for paint.

Here is what I found on the plexus website:

Cleans:

Convertible-Top Windows

Light Lenses

Instrument Panels

Polished alloy

Chrome Wheels

Bug Deflectors

Sun Visors

Bigpoppa3346
12-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Why would you? There are much better polishes out there actually designed to polish your car`s paint.

ramp
12-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Why would you? There are much better polishes out there actually designed to polish your car`s paint.

I wouldn`t! But some guy on another forum said he got it on his paint finish and thinks it might be a good way to polish the finish... What is the chemical composition of Plexus that might make it a bad idea for our car finishes?

Black240SX
12-31-2006, 11:27 PM
I don`t think it will do any harm, but it sure doesn`t last that long. One rain storm and it`ll all be washed off.

NB: it has no abrasives in it, so won`t correct any defects.

TGates
01-01-2007, 04:22 PM
A guy I know who owns a new motorcycle showroom uses it on all new motorcycles (paint and all) to shine them up for the showroom. I doubt it`d hurt anything, but I would never use it on my paint.

I DO use it extensively on my clear targa top on my Corvette and also on the clear plastic headlight lenses and it works wonders on those areas.

BMW335i
01-01-2007, 04:39 PM
People use it on interior wood trim. Wouldn`t use it on paint, though.

tom p.
01-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Where is DavidB on this subject? There had been a lengthy write-up on this product being used as an emergency "QD". Maybe in the old forum archives??

BoxsterCharlie
01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
I`ve tried it and wasn`t impressed. But I never worry about overspray either; it cleans up good off paint. There`s something magic about the way Plexus works on smooth plastic, but it doesn`t translate into paint.

SVR
01-02-2007, 09:50 PM
A couple years ago I saw a guy using plexus as a QD. It did absolutely nothing for the paint but he thought it was the best stuff on earth

It would only dry up the paint over time.

imported_AndrewW
01-02-2007, 09:57 PM
A guy I know who owns a new motorcycle showroom uses it on all new motorcycles (paint and all) to shine them up for the showroom. I doubt it`d hurt anything, but I would never use it on my paint.

I DO use it extensively on my clear targa top on my Corvette and also on the clear plastic headlight lenses and it works wonders on those areas.

I used it on motorcycles when I worked for Kawasaki (paint, chrome, everything). It was originally designed for pilots who had bird/bug mess on the planes` windsheild. The only product that I know of that cleans bug mess, and no streaks! :grinno:

Bobby G
01-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Depending on the hardness of your clear coat, Plexus can work okay on paint. It does not have enough cut to remove swirls.

I`ll tell you where it does work well:

1. Dirty door jambs

2. Stubborn brake dust stains on wheels

3. Polished aluminum

4. As a stainless steel cleaner

5. On Xpel and other 3M clear protection systems

6. On tinted window film

So, it has a lot of uses and a can goes a long way.

db