PDA

View Full Version : Order of use: Meguiars 83, 80, 9, ColorX

Pages : [1] 2

mikebai1990
12-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Okay, so I just got a PC and am planning on buying new pads/backing plate and some Meguiars polishes for polishing after the winter.

I plan on polishing my parents` 1993 Acura Vigor. It`s swirled pretty badly because the first owner didn`t really take much care of it. No scratches that can be felt with the fingernail, but lots of marring, spiderwebbing, etc...

So I plan on ordering 83, 80 from Amazon. I currently have #9 and ColorX. Here`s what I`m thinking about doing. BTW, I will have Lake Country CCS orange, white, and gray pad.

Orange pad 83

Orange pad 80 (or maybe white pad?)

White pad 9

White pad ColorX

Gray pad Collinite 476S

Are any of the products I plan on using redundant? I`m not sure how the 9 and ColorX should be used.

Also, do you guys think my process may be too aggressive? I haven`t done any polishing before, so I`m somewhat of newbie with machine polishing.

Thanks for the advice!

BigAl3
12-31-2006, 12:03 PM
if it`s in rough shape...

collinite 476s

if it isn`t...

#80 or #9 or colorx (#80 and then straight to lsp is commonly done)

collinite 476s

remember to do a test spot with the least aggressive product, check your results and go from there...

mikebai1990
12-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the help! If I have the chance, I`ll take a few pictures.

PRB
12-31-2006, 03:41 PM
ColoRx after M09 is duplication of a step since ColoRx has mild abrasives in it.

M09 has mild abrasives as well. I suggest either using M09 and finishing with a wax/sealant with no abrasives OR skipping M09 and working the ColoRx very well as a last step.

mikebai1990
12-31-2006, 04:36 PM
I see. So you mean the #9 and the ColorX essentially perform similarly and it would be redundant to use both products, correct?

PRB
12-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Ideally, I should have stated it as, "Using M09 before ColoRx is redundant."

M09 does a bit of correction and adds a bit of gloss, but that`s where it ends.

ColoRx does some correction, adds some gloss, AND has a wax for a bit of protection.

If you do use M09 and find that it does what you want, then I`d finish with a wax that does no cleaning so as to not make you work any longer or jeopardize the results M09 gave you. I have never used a Collinite product, so I can`t say if it would do any cleaning or is a non-abrasive last step wax.

mikebai1990
12-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Collinite doesn`t have any cleaning properties, so it`s a good pure carnauba wax.

I guess I`ll leave out the #9 and use ColorX. ColorX should do a better job of creating a good gloss in addition to its slight correction properties.

Dan
12-31-2006, 06:51 PM
I`d do colorx first. ColorX`s strength as a heavy cleaner is removing oxidation and surface contaminants. It will let you see what you have to work with. Then based on that 83 and then 80.

mikebai1990
12-31-2006, 07:05 PM
I thought that less stronger polishes should be used at the end to get rid of the slight micromarring caused by the aggressive pads (is orange considered aggressive?) and the polishes. Does that mean I should use ColorX in the beginning as well as at the end?

BigAl3
12-31-2006, 07:15 PM
colorx is an aggressive cleaner wax. it`s a cleaner, polish and wax all in one. if your defects are light, you can use this product to save a few steps and top it for added protection...

mikebai1990
12-31-2006, 07:22 PM
On the Acura, the swirls are pretty bad, so I`m afraid I will have to step up to either 80 or 83 to get rid of the swirls.

Do you guys think using #83 with a orange pad will cause micromarring by itself? I`m curious to see how strong the orange pad/83 combo is.

Eliot Ness
12-31-2006, 07:43 PM
......Do you guys think using #83 with a orange pad will cause micromarring by itself? .........Sometimes it will and sometimes it finishes off pretty nice. I have done a red car with #83 and a polish pad that came out looking very good, and in one spot I used an orange pad on a bird crap etching. I did follow up that spot with a polish pad, didn`t have to bother with a #80 follow-up at all.

Dan
12-31-2006, 08:06 PM
I thought that less stronger polishes should be used at the end to get rid of the slight micromarring caused by the aggressive pads (is orange considered aggressive?) and the polishes. Does that mean I should use ColorX in the beginning as well as at the end?

I don`t see a need for ColorX in the end. Since its a 93 and you say the paint is really neglected, I say use it first to get all the crap off of the paint that is not paint, then polish. I hate trying to clean up an old car with all kinds of crap on the paint with a polish instead of a cleaner. It wastes the polish and gunks up the pad. I like to use a crappy pad and a strong paint cleaner. Obviously not a great practice for pros as it is another step but for those of us that can afford some time it works well.

mikebai1990
12-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Oh, I guess I left some info out in my original post. Whoops. :lol

My parents bought the car used about 2 years ago. Since then, I`ve always meticulously maintained the car with claying and hand waxing. So basically, the car is clean and well protected, it`s just the swirls and marring that is the problem. Now that I just got my PC, I`m starting to think of getting rid of the swirls that have always been bothering me by using polish. The paint itself is not contaminated because I`ve clayed the 3 times in the past two years, and I will be claying again when I polish. Yakky, do you mean that even claying won`t get rid of the gunk that would be collected by the polish? Thanks :)

BigAl3
12-31-2006, 11:25 PM
i would do a test spot with #80 and if it doesn`t seem to do the trick, give #83 a shot. if you use #83 and it leaves some micromarring, follow up with #80 and then go straight to your lsp...