PDA

View Full Version : newbie otc stuff

Pages : [1] 2 3

plavuk
12-30-2006, 07:47 PM
just got a new ride and i want to keep it looking clean. i want some opinions on over the counter items, if i cant find it at walmart or target forget it. also everything is by hand no pc. did the search thing not what i was looking for...

is there a product that actually removes swirls and not mask it? zymol cleaner wax and nu finish claim to do that.

what is the difference between meguiars colorx and cleaner wax? anyone use mothers cleaner wax?

eagle one nanowax spray can be applied to paint, trim, rims, and glass; hides swirls, and is durable.... is that true?

what do you use to clean and condition leather? i have the meguiars rich leather wipes which are pretty much worthless; is the 2-1 any good? anyone use the armor all leather care gel? is there a product that can clean, condition, protect leather and dash? i was looking at the eagle one nano protectant

also i dont buy anything german.

heres what im looking for

WASH

LEATHER/DASH PRODUCT

WAX

right now im using....

eagle one bucket free

stoner invisable glass

stoner tarminator

meguairs colorx

meguairs leather wipes

all vroom microfiber/sponge/pads

Cleaning Fool
12-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Lexol is a nice over the counter leather conditioner...Lexol Spray Leather Cleaner cleans leather seats safely without soap or alkaline cleaners. Preserves leather`s natural look and feel. (http://www.autogeek.net/lexsprayleat.html)

mikebai1990
12-30-2006, 08:10 PM
If you want to remove swirls by hand, your best bet is probably Meguiars ScratchX. It will require a lot of work, though. If your ride is new, make every effort to prevent marring or swirling if you don`t plan on getting a PC.

Meguiars ColorX is basically a cleaner wax. It is highly recommended for use as a cleaner wax, and will do better than Meguiars Cleaner Wax or Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax. It`s a good choice.

I don`t think nanowax is any special or really good wax. I don`t see any need to use it.

For leather, Lexol is a highly regarded product used to clean leather. But it`s not sold at walmart or target.

Er... Why don`t you buy anything german? Just wondering...

For wash, Meguiars GC sold at Target is a great choice. The NXT wash is also very good.

Stoners invisible glass is a great glass cleaner. Vroom products are okay, not the best, but okay.

Hope that helps.

xspeedy
12-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Seriously, buy yourself a PC, pads, and some good products via the web. You`ll be amazed at the results and ease of application. Most items can be found OTC, but the better polishes for swirl removal and the better sealants are web/mail.

ret
12-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Seriously, buy yourself a PC, pads, and some good products via the web. You`ll be amazed at the results and ease of application. Most items can be found OTC, but the better polishes for swirl removal and the better sealants are web/mail.

Good advice.

RET

wannafbody
12-30-2006, 09:21 PM
use Mothers Powerpolish for removing swirls. Mothers Reflections is a nice wax.

plavuk
12-30-2006, 09:34 PM

pc`s are for little girls, and i dont want to buy 30$ waxes off the web.

Pennypacker
12-30-2006, 09:40 PM

you`re gonna make lots of friends here..I can just feel it.

imported_Sludge
12-30-2006, 10:50 PM
:funnypost

I love the internet.

imported_bigfoot
12-30-2006, 11:01 PM

If what you`re saying is true, then there`s a bunch of little girls in this forum, and I`ll become one soon...:funnypost I can feel the love towards you now!:grinno:

Joey:rolleyes:

plavuk
12-31-2006, 10:29 AM
If what you`re saying is true, then there`s a bunch of little girls in this forum, and I`ll become one soon...:funnypost I can feel the love towards you now!:grinno:

Joey:rolleyes:

i wouldnt doubt it. haha no i just like to pull it out in the driveway and do it by hand its more rewarding for me, but anyway would recommend a good one step leather cleaner/conditioner i could get locally?

also can nxt paste wax and gold class paste wax be applied to glass and wheels? which one do you guys think looks better and lasts longer.

mikebai1990
12-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Applying waxes by hand may be rewarding, but doing hand polishing is most definitely not. Polishing by hand simply can`t achieve the necessary speed and heat needed to remove swirls and marring.

For the leather care, as everyone has recommended, Lexol is a highly regarded product that can be bought locally.

As for the waxes, I don`t think NXT and Gold Class offer good protection. For about the same price ($14.50 online including shipping) you can get some Collinite, which will last much longer. I mean, $14.50 is similar to the amount you would be spending on the Gold Class Wax, so I think it`s a good price. If you`re interested, take a look at mactecllc.com.

sspeer
12-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Walmart/Target don`t have much in regards to polish. How about an auto parts store? Sometimes they`ll have some Meguiar`s number 9 swirl remover, but for only a few bucks more, you can order some Menzerna FPII off the web.

On the other hand, maybe an all in one is what you`d need since you`re arms will be ready to fall off! Something like Finish Kare 215 perhaps?

xspeedy
12-31-2006, 11:23 AM
I don`t understand the OTC obsession. You are on this board, so you obviously have Internet. Point and click your way to products that are ten times better than what you`ll find at Walmart.

Spend a bit of money and do the job right, or settle for Simonizing your car.

mikebai1990
12-31-2006, 11:39 AM
I agree. Sometimes, the prices on the internet may be more competitive than the prices of products OTC. Some stuff is just too specialized to be sold at stores like Walmart and Target. Not to say that I don`t shop there, I got lots of my detailing stuff there. It`s just that for some effective products, you will need to buy online.