PDA

View Full Version : Snowboard recommendations???

JaCkaL829
12-30-2006, 06:48 PM
I`m wondering if anyone can recommend me a good snowboard setup? I`ve done it once or twice in past years, and plan on going at least 3 times this winter. I really didn`t have any intention to buy my own full setup, but it`s kinda like a one thing lead to another. My family got a "pass" to go three times in a somewhat park, so I had just figured I can borrow my friend`s bro`s board. Now I really don`t wanna be a jerk and "take" his since he just got new boots and the times he goes most likely will be the times we go since the weather has been so bad and everyone works normal M-F jobs. I ended up "leasing" a pair of boots at a local shop per my friend at work`s advice. Since I already paid for half of them I`ll most likely keep them and lose my $40 deposit. I`m now interested in finding a somewhat good snowboard and bindings. Ideally I`d like to get something from last season but still new so the price will be lower. I`m just curious if anyone can recommend me anything in terms of brands and bindings? I`m working tommorow with this guy who`s been snowboarding for years, I`m hoping he give me some feedback on what`s good and what`s crap. I`m probably overresearching this, but it looks like I`ll be spending around $350. Any recommendations for places to go online would be great. I believe my local sport`s authority and princeton ski shop are going to be having sales tommorow since the wash out weather, so I`ll probably check them out. I just did a quick ebay search on "snowboard 155cm" and found a couple that looked decent for pretty cheap so who knows. :nixweiss

Thanks in Advance :)

edit: I`m looking for a basic setup for me to learn on and to be able to get me down the hill, nothing fancy for tricks. Right now I`m eyeing the K2 Dart, my friend owned for the past 5-6 years and seems to be satisfied with it.

! apmljv
12-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Everyone will most likely bring out Burton; hence it`s one of the company that`s been in the market the longest and has the most mature design. But keep in mind that their technology does not improve significantlly every year as they advertised. Generally, people will not noticed the difference riding a 03` board compare to an 06 or 07`.

That being said, I would recommend Ride, Burton, Salomon, Palmers, Nidecker, and K2. Any of these boards are good and reputable company. However, if you`re fairly new to snowboarding I would recommend Burton as I`ve heard from many people that Burton is easiest to learn on. I`ve taught 2 of my cousins using Burton board and a friend of mine using my old 1997 Burton Custom and they all agreed Burton was easier to ride (They were comparing with the rental they got).

Again, Burton also makes great binding, but I would also look into K2 or Flow as they`re two of the most popular among my friends. I personally get whatever feels most comfortable in and looks durable.

AkronSi
01-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I`ve been really happy with Rossignol boards (I`m on my second). I have a Rossi Premier from a couple of years ago and really like it. I would consider it more of a all-mountain (freeride) style board than a hard-core freestyle board. I find that it works well in pretty much all of the conditions that most people ride in. I also used to have a Never Summer board and absolutely loved it (it was stolen). I would get another Never Summer in a heartbeat. It was a freestyle board that carved like a dream and was super easy to spin. It was great.

I`ve only rode on one Burton (for an extended weekend in West Virginia when I was between boards) and I wasn`t impressed with it. It may have been the board, but it was just too sloppy for my tastes (toooo flexible) compared to the Rossis and Never Summers.

No matter what you get, take some time and do a bit of research. You don`t want a board that is too small or to big for your body or your riding style.

The Burton bindings are really nice from when I`ve tried them. I`ve been hanging onto an older set of of K2 Clicker bindings and boots. I very much prefer step-in bindings than the standard two-strap set up. Unfortunately they never really took off.

Anyway, good luck and have fun.

kompressornsc
01-01-2007, 10:08 PM
My first board was a Burton 145 Backwoods. Anyone remember those? :) That was over 20 years ago....