PDA

View Full Version : Black residue left on the pad

bonoz
12-30-2006, 06:40 PM
After I did my hood with an orange pad and Menzerna IP using a PC. Things were going ok.

Then I moved to the roof and polished that.. after washing my pad. After polishing it... there was black residue left on my pad...orange pad went black/greyish...

Friend of mine says it`s single stage paint....

I`m worried :cry:

mikebai1990
12-30-2006, 06:54 PM
It might be single stage paint. Which car did you do it on? If I`m not mistaken, the pad can still be used. Please correct me if I`m wrong, though, I`m not sure.

bonoz
12-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Well I have a BMW 1998 328i.

imported_paradigm
12-30-2006, 07:45 PM
did you run the pad over trim on the top of the car? that`ll turn it black very quickly.

imported_Yal
12-30-2006, 07:50 PM
did you run the pad over trim on the top of the car? that`ll turn it black very quickly.

My thoughts exactly :)

bonoz
12-30-2006, 07:55 PM
hmmm maybe.

Ok the thing is.. I blue taped the trim.. but I didn`t blue tape the trim of the "sunroof" because it was just so thing that It would have taken me hours to properly tape it.

Do you think it`s pad for that trim? and do you think that black stuff is harmful for the rest of the paint?

Cleaning Fool
12-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Ive got single stage paint on my conversion van and everytime I polish with anything the pads turn black. I wouldn`y worry about it.

bonoz
12-31-2006, 11:04 AM
So guy`s, do you think it is a single stage paint or it`s because of the rubber trim on the sunroof???

it was a bit greyish.

Is it bad if I polish the rest of the car with that pad? or should I wash it?

and also, is it bad for the rubber trim?

Setec Astronomy
12-31-2006, 11:18 AM
It`s probably just dirt from the paint, and/or trim residue. It can be bad for the rubber trim if you`ve got an aggressive enough pad to physically damage it, or if the polish you are using stains the trim white. There seems to be an infinite variation of materials, textures, weather effects, etc. that affect how the trim will react. If the pad gets too dirty during the job, you should change to a fresh pad or clean the one you are using. I will sometimes wipe the face of the pad with a (clean!) terry towel to remove excess polish and dirt.

Once again, it is normal during the course of polishing for the pad to get "dirty", this is "dirt" from the paint that hasn`t been removed by your previous steps. And/or, of course, residue from going over trim pieces.

optimusp517
12-31-2006, 01:24 PM
It`s most likely the rubber seal on the sunroof, it does that if you don`t watch out for it.