PDA

View Full Version : Gray spots on roof??

scotty96lsc
12-30-2006, 09:14 AM
I have four grayish quarter size spots on the roof of my black car. These are not water spots from our hard water here, but something else. The best way to describe them is they are gray, round yet crackled looking -- meaning I can see the car`s paint in between the borders of this crackle effect. I don`t think it is the clear coat going (nearly 9 years old) at least it doesn`t look like cracked clear coat like my last black car. Looking for suggestions on what to clean these spots up. Thanks.

mikebai1990
12-30-2006, 09:17 AM
The way you are describing it, it seems like clearcoat failure. Can you take a picture?

scotty96lsc
12-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Well, my digital camera can`t get a good enough pic. However, I got down real close to those spots and I think you are right. Looks like the beginning of my clear coat going. Is there a way to slow down or prevent the degradation of the clear coat???

scotty96lsc
12-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Well, my digital camera can`t get a good enough pic. However, I got down real close to those spots and I think you are right. Looks like the beginning of my clear coat going. Is there a way to slow down or prevent the degradation of the clear coat??? From what I know there isn`t any.

mikebai1990
12-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Well, I believe you can certainly protect it with a heavy wax. Also, you will need to wax more often because of the damage and lack of protection from your clearcoat.

scotty96lsc
12-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I wax every three months, and detail spray between waxes.:hm

mikebai1990
12-30-2006, 10:42 AM
That seems okay. What products do you use to wax? For a strong wax (Collinite, Zaino, etc..), 3 months shouldn`t be a problem. Also, what do you use for your detail spray? Spray sealants like Duragloss Aquawax are quite durable and give a very nice shine.

scotty96lsc
12-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Meguiars NXT wax and detail spray is what I use.

mikebai1990
12-30-2006, 01:02 PM
NXT wax isn`t really that durable, so if you plan on using NXT, I would start waxes more frequently, around once every month or so if you want to make sure your clearcoat is protected as much as possible. Otherwise, you may want to try out some other more durable waxes.