PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba durability better I feel?

Pages : [1] 2

SilverSeven
12-30-2006, 04:58 AM
:wavey Hi there all. Since reading this threads, I feel that the good of Carnauba based waxes are better than those Synthetic based sealants. I read that Collinite IW845, #476, P21S, S100, Natty`s Blue, Megs #16 & etc are good for durability. Especially the Collinite & #16.

So I wonder when detailing a car, the 1st thing that comes in our mind when we looking for durability we tend to go to this few carnauba waxes. Even me when I want durability I`ll go to my #16 too. I can`t rely on any sealants I have. As after 1-2 weeks the surface is squeaking & water beading is none at all already.

I read a lot of Collinite durability reviews in Autopia & I am very interested to try it. Especially the #476..... :getdown. :lol. So I think in my opinion Carnauba rocks....Hehehe. :thx

Happy New Year to all Autopians.:bestwish

imported_steveo3002
12-30-2006, 05:51 AM
it would be well worth you trying the collinites, but im not sure id agree that p21s,s100,nattys are good for durability

Zet
12-30-2006, 06:10 AM
For the best durability it`s very important to apply the LSP to well prep`d paint. For durability I go for e.g. Meg`s #21, DG #105, and I`ve heard good things about Werkstatt/Carlack too. I`ve recently bought IW to try also, though I think it might be a Carnauba/synthetic blend :nixweiss

Imo, very few (any?) pure Carnaubas will have good durability. Btw, when discussing durability I`m sure we`ll hear from the Zaino camp soon ;)

DM101
12-30-2006, 06:17 AM
I like Carnauba better also but for a different reason, looks. Pinnacle Souveran and 5050 are my favorites. Waxes bead better but for a shorter period of time. Syn. sometimes loose there beading but it is still there. So water beading is not a good indicator of protection. In general hard waxes Col, meg 16 last longer than PS, S100. SYN. can last up to 6 months. But I still love to wax and Red moose Glaze folowed by PS is my go to JMHO ZOOM---ZOOM

SilverSeven
12-30-2006, 07:09 AM
:bow thanks for the feedback. I too like carnauba waxes more. I guess it coz of the consistent results I can expect from them. Syn wise they then to be different results in different products. It might be interesting at time. Trying out new to see how it goes right. :clap:

Well I know beading is not a good way to determine there`s any wax there. But usually when there none the wax would be less too right? And its bad for water spot. Anyway I was showing my friend last Sunday went I helped him detail his car. Funny thing happened, just as I`ve learn I told him that the `Squeak Test" is how to see if there`s wax on the surface. Now his can was repainted & is quite an old car. I showed him by using a terry cloth on the untreated surface.....ok there was squeaking sound. Ok now for the waxed part, `Huh`???? Hahahahaha.... got squeaking too. Then I try the MF cloth, Hahahaha. Got sound also??? :lol

I try apply a layer of wax again & tried again. Hehehe....still got sound....?????? Funny, very funny as we look at each other & he just smile at me ( the smile that look at me as a ????).

I give up at last. Telling him it might be his paint`s fault....??? :o You guys ever encounter this before?? :nixweiss

Dan
12-30-2006, 10:02 AM
From what I`ve read, the Collinites are not just carnauba, but they have some kind of sealant in them. The durability king for me so far is Zaino Z2. I could go six months and still have very solid beading. With carnauba I can get 2-3 months in the winter before it starts to fade and about a month in the summer when hot temps start to affect it. After long term Zaino use, I am starting to question its protection qualities. After reading a few posts here and there about water spotting with Zaino, I`ve noticed some traces of it. Now I`m trying Carnauba over M21. I`ll be back with my results in a few years :D

a.k.a. Patrick
12-30-2006, 11:28 AM
What synthetics have you put your Nubas up against? I may be stepping on some toes here, but 95% of your appearance (if not more) comes from your cleaning and polishing steps.....The wax/sealant actually provides very little in the ways of appearance (IMO).

Bigpoppa3346
12-30-2006, 11:47 AM
First of all, Natty`s, P21S, and S100 are not durable at all. Meg`s #16 and Collinite are durable, but they won`t last as long as a good sealant will(will outlast many of the lesser ones, though). Once the oils in the carnauba wash off, then the shine/slickness is gone. The reason Collinite lasts so long is because it is not all carnauba. I am starting to make the switch over to sealants, just because they keep their freshly applied qualities much longer than a carnauba does.

The least durable sealant I have seen is EX-P, and that will go 2-3 months or more(depending on the base, AIO, clean paint, or VM). If your sealants aren`t lasting than 1.) You did something wrong, or 2.) They are just crappy products

imported_Bence
12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
...Telling him it might be his paint`s fault....??? :o You guys ever encounter this before?? :nixweiss

It can happen on older, more permeable paints. Nothing will last on these finishes. I`ve experienced a car that could be protected for 3 weeks max. After this short period of time, the surface was showing absolutely no signs of protection; the water pooled on it, wasn`t slick at all and it felt dry and grabby. No matter what I tried (Z2Pro, Coll. 885, etc.), it was dead after 2-3 weeks.

I`m not sure about refinishes (especially on old cars) though...

And yes, with some LSPs, the squeak test simply doesn`t work.

Accumulator
12-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I often have a broad range of LSPs on our various vehicles, some are sealants and some are waxes/carnaubas. In both categories there are products with very good durability and products with so-so (at best) durability.

IMO one big factor is how layerable a given product is. A single layer of *anything* has always been pretty unimpressive to me durability-wise, but products that truly layer are a different story; get a few layers of some products built up and you can just wash, and even spot-clay, for a long, long time.

But then "durability" isn`t as simple a thing as it might first appear; do we mean beading/sheeing, or slickness, or shine, or...what? Whenever *any* characteristic that I value drops off, I consider the LSP in need of refreshing, but somebody else might think it`s still fine.

yankees1
12-30-2006, 01:17 PM
I always put a base of Klasse on first and then follow up with a carnuba. But, it all depends on if your car is a daily driver or seldom taken out. Also, if it sits in the sun for prolong times on a daily basis.

Scottwax
12-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Personally, while sealants tend to have the edge in pure durability (length of time water beads and the paint feels slick), carnaubas seem (at least for me) to have the edge in protection against bird bombs and other enviromental hazards.

imported_Yal
12-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Personally, while sealants tend to have the edge in pure durability (length of time water beads and the paint feels slick), carnaubas seem (at least for me) to have the edge in protection against bird bombs and other enviromental hazards.

Both my cars are parked outside near trees and I find this to be VERY true!:bigups

I was actually shocked about this especially after I read so much about the superiority of sealants but I slap a layer of Collinite on top of them as a final step and it has stopped environmental problems I was getting, especially bird droppings and water spots. I`m from the school of "Prep, prep, prep" so thats not it. Maybe i`m dreaming but thats what I see.

Changeling
12-30-2006, 02:46 PM
What synthetics have you put your Nubas up against? I may be stepping on some toes here, but 95% of your appearance (if not more) comes from your cleaning and polishing steps.....The wax/sealant actually provides very little in the ways of appearance (IMO).

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

Bigpoppa3346
12-30-2006, 02:50 PM

Same with me. Collinite protected my car all summer from bird crap etchings, then when I do VM+EX-P I get 2 etchings within 4 weeks of being applied. Maybe carnauba leaves a thicker barrier? Who knows.