PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar Brake Dust

neatntidy
12-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Any recommendations for getting rid of brake dust easier. 2007 XK leaves way too much dust causing me to hold back driving as I can`t leave it dusty. Suggestions for a preventive product for applying prior to driving or other suggestions appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year to ALL!!

White95Max
12-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Any sealant will repel brake dust and allow it to be cleaned off much more easily. Clean the wheels thoroughly, apply a paint cleaner like Klasse All-In-One, and then apply a sealant. You won`t need any more wheel cleaners. Ordinary car soap and a light wipe with a mitt/towel will be plenty to clean the wheels from then on, until the sealant wears off. You`ll know when the sealant is wearing off because the brake dust will stick a bit more, and the surface slickness will decrease.

neatntidy
12-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I have never used a sealant for this. Any product recommendations?

mikebai1990
12-29-2006, 04:44 PM
You can using any sealant or wax. I use Collinite on my wheels. You can use Duragloss Aquawax, Zaino, etc...

White95Max
12-29-2006, 04:46 PM
It`s all up to personal preference. I`ve used FourStar UPP, Wolfgang sealant, Meg`s #16, NXT, Klasse AIO, and Klasse SG on my wheels. They all perform pretty similarly.

BigJimZ28
12-29-2006, 10:40 PM
yes sealants will help you clean up the dust

but if you change the pads to something like hawk pads

they will stop better and dust less

Scottwax
12-29-2006, 10:50 PM
I`d just switch to a ceramic compound brake pad. I`d also write to Jaguar and complain about the brake dust. There is no reason anymore with the new ceramic pads that stop at least as well as OEM (and in the case of both my Accord and 626, noticably better) for any car manufacturer to use pads that shed copious amounts of brake dust. Maybe if they get hundreds of calls and letters a day, they`d put low dusting pads on their cars.

Wheel Wax helps too but any sealant should help until you change out your pads. :)

White95Max
12-30-2006, 12:09 PM
I think the softer brake pads are there because it`s a Jaguar...a luxury brand. People expect quiet operation from luxury vehicles, and pads that dust less will often produce more brake noise. I`d bet the XJR has ceramic brakes, because it`s meant more for performance.

Scottwax
12-30-2006, 01:14 PM
I think the softer brake pads are there because it`s a Jaguar...a luxury brand. People expect quiet operation from luxury vehicles, and pads that dust less will often produce more brake noise. I`d bet the XJR has ceramic brakes, because it`s meant more for performance.

I know the XK doesn`t have low dusting pads. :hmph:

I`ve never noticed more noise from ceramic pads. Besides, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and VW also have horrible brake dust problems and they are all more performance oriented. Why they don`t address the issue is beyond me, all my customers complain about the brake dust...and I always tell them, tell the dealer. Complain. Make your voice heard.

BigJimZ28
12-30-2006, 01:33 PM

not true!

I have installed 10+ pairs of hawk pads

and every time they stop better

dust less and have noticed no insrease in noise

White95Max
12-30-2006, 04:27 PM
I had ceramic pads on the Maxima and I didn`t notice any noise increase either, but some ceramic pads can increase the noise. My point is--Jaguar must have a reason that they didn`t put ceramic pads on the XK. I think there are two likely possibilities: reduced noise, or reduced cost. Probably a bit of both.