PDA

View Full Version : Question about polish application

BMW335i
12-29-2006, 12:43 PM
When is the BEST time to apply polish? After claying and before wax? Can polish be applied after you waxed the car?

Can an a polish like Z2 be applied by hand with their applicators?

Can an abrasive polish like Z5 be applied by hand with their applicators?

Thanks.

Accumulator
12-29-2006, 12:57 PM
This stuff isn`t as simple as it oughta be: Zaino and some other manufacturers use "polish" to mean all sorts of things. With Zaino, (IIRC) "polish" generally means a nonabrasive product like Z2. Even the Z5 is nonabrasive. Both apply fine by hand.

I`ve never used Zaino, but I suspect it wouldn`t bond too well to wax. It`s usually an either/or thing, although some people like to use Zaino and *then* put wax on top of it.

Yeah, polishes (both abrasive ones and nonabrasive ones too) are used after the clay but before the wax. Applying abrasive polish after the wax will cut off the wax; using nonabrasive polish after the wax will deposit the polish *on* the wax, where it may or may not stick around very long.

Eliot Ness
12-29-2006, 01:05 PM
When is the BEST time to apply polish? After claying and before wax? Can polish be applied after you waxed the car?

Can an a polish like Z2 be applied by hand with their applicators?

Can an abrasive polish like Z5 be applied by hand with their applicators?

Thanks.OK, this gets a bit confusing because different manufacturers use the term polish to mean different things. Most of us consider a polish to be either abrasive and/or a chemical cleaner for removing paint defects.

Some manufacturers use the term polish as a glaze, sealant, etc.

Both Z2 and Z5 fall into the sealant category; they have no abrasives or cleaning properties. Z-PC (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-PC&Category_Code=Zaino) is an abrasive polish that is a very good prep for Z2/5 that would be used after you wash and clay your car.

BMW335i
12-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Is it neccessary to clay, polish and then wax? Is it just as fine to go from claying to waxing? I have a new car, BTW.

Eliot Ness
12-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Is it neccessary to clay, polish and then wax? Is it just as fine to go from claying to waxing? I have a new car, BTW.If you don`t have any defects or marring that you want to remove then that should be fine. You can save the polish step for the spring (if needed then) after we`re finished with winter.

Accumulator
12-29-2006, 05:50 PM
I think that if *I* were gonna consider skipping the polishing step, I`d still do that step but with something like a cleaner-wax that`s really user-friendly. I`d just want *some* kind of cleaning/etc. to happen between the clay and the LSP.

Some products like 1Z WaxPolishSoft/Autoglym SRP/AIO/VM are so easy to use that I`d go for it. If you have a PC or something similar it`d go *very* fast and even if working by hand, I`d do it. Easy for me to spend *your* time though ;)