PDA

View Full Version : Meg`s Clay > Mother`s Clay

danforz
12-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Hey guys, thought I`d share my experience with Megs and Mother`s clays.

I have a relatively new gray car, which I clayed with Mother`s Gold clay set a week ago. Unfortunately, due to "undesirable circumstances", I rushed the process and didn`t feel I had done a thorough job.

Today, I purchased Meg`s clay set, and I must say for two dollars more then Mothers, I was VERY happy with the results. Heres why:

1) Clay worked better

2) Clay came split in half

3) Comes with clay case

4) Includes plush MF

1. For a car that was clayed a week ago, there sure was a lot of crap left on there. The Meg`s clay simply did a better job. Both clay`s got the larger particles, but Megs did a better job of getting the smaller stuff off too.

2. Mother`s clay system gives you a large chunk of clay. Megs, gives you the same sized chunk, sliced into two, thinner pieces. This made it easier to pick away the right amount of clay, and also conserved a great deal of clay.

3. It came with a plastic clay case, which is a definite bonus.

4. Also came with one of Meg`s plus yellow MFs, which I happen to love.

Overall, I`m surprised by the contrast between the two products.

clnfrk
12-29-2006, 03:36 AM
The last time I purchased a claybar set was only a couple of weeks ago. I couldn`t decide between the Mothers or Megs, so I ended up going with Mothers due to the "newness" of the Megs. I only recently started seeing the Megs clay on the shelves so I was a bit skeptical of it.

After using the Mothers I noticed that it didn`t pick out alot of contaminates, mainly the little rust colored dots. I couldn`t help but wonder if the Megs clay would`ve performed better and after seeing your satisfaction with it, I`ll definitely be going with the Megs next time around.

STG
12-29-2006, 03:43 AM
Meguiar`s Clay has been around for years. The packaging is new.

johny
12-29-2006, 09:53 AM
How would you say that the Meguiar`s and Mother`s clays compare to Clay Magic? I have only used Clay Magic (and I am happy with it), but I notice the other brands seem easier to find on the shelf.

Setec Astronomy
12-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Meguiar`s Clay has been around for years. The packaging is new.

That`s a little misleading...Meg`s has been selling clay for years, however, the Smooth Surface clay is (relatively) new and replaced the Quik Clay, which although the same color, was a different formulation (actually the Quik Clay also went thru at least one reformulation during its marketing life). Apparently at one time Meg`s also had a black clay, believe it or not. Not to mention the Meg`s pro Overspray clays which are basically the Clay Magic blue and red.

coupe
12-29-2006, 10:14 AM
I still preffer claymagic, much cheaper and i can get it at any of my local autozones.

danforz
12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
How would you say that the Meguiar`s and Mother`s clays compare to Clay Magic? I have only used Clay Magic (and I am happy with it), but I notice the other brands seem easier to find on the shelf.

Haven`t used clay magic... its not sold locally. And granted I still have an entire half of meg`s clay left over, I`ll probably be using it next time as well.

Guy
12-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I started out using Mothers and it basically disinegrated, got all over my fingers and left chunks everywhere. Never tried Claymagic or Megs but now I have sonus and love it!

STG
12-29-2006, 02:50 PM
That`s a little misleading...Meg`s has been selling clay for years, however, the Smooth Surface clay is (relatively) new and replaced the Quik Clay, which although the same color, was a different formulation (actually the Quik Clay also went thru at least one reformulation during its marketing life). Apparently at one time Meg`s also had a black clay, believe it or not. Not to mention the Meg`s pro Overspray clays which are basically the Clay Magic blue and red.

I guess I havent bought any of the new stuff yet! (I have seen the black clay before.)