PDA

View Full Version : Your Ideal Product Line-Up for My Small Budget Please

Pages : [1] 2

BlueBoxer1
12-29-2006, 12:50 AM
Well I`ve been soaking in a ton of info over the last few days. One things that is overwhelming is the variety of products out there. As a Noob, I really can`t figure out how to match products in a way that makes sense. That`s where you veterans come in! I don`t have alot of cash to burn on product, so I`d like to get a simple line-up of products that work well. Please post what you would recommend I get for my starting detail line-up, both for exterior and interior.

As a guideline, I have about $50-$100 tops to spend on my exterior line-up, and about $50 for my interior line-up. In my garage I have some Meg paint cleaner and polish, but I`m happy to replace those if there is a "system" that works better. I also have lexol leather cleaner and conditioner which I`ll keep and use. I`d like to replace my carnauba with some synthetic that will last longer. I`ll need something for the dash, wheels, tires and glass (although maybe I can just use 303 on the tires since I`ll get that for the black trim, and I have some non-ammonia Windex kicking aorund here).

Although I still don`t fully get the whole "accelerator" concept, using polishes and waxes that cure in less than hour instead of in 24 hours makes sense to me since then I can recoat in the same day.

So let`s see it, your full ideal product line-up for my basic budget! Thanks alot in advance!

Envious Eric
12-29-2006, 02:27 AM
optimum hyper compound

optimum polish

mix the two and you have something close to optimum compound

meguiars APC+

optimum protectant plus

optimum poliseal

DONE - everything you may need to keep your car clean....

except tire dressings and window cleaner....but use APC+ on everything...carpets, dash, leather, etc

atticdog
12-29-2006, 06:46 AM
I might add collinite 845 as an lsp cheap easy to use and very durable

Grimm
12-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Save your $$ for a polisher if you don`t have one. At this point unless you want to spend hours upon hours of agonizing hand polishing, I would stick with just getting some wax for protection. The Collinite 845 is a good one to start with, awesome durability with a very good look. OH, and get a clay bar if you don`t have one either.

AL-53
12-29-2006, 08:27 AM
If you want to go budget and get great results...get the Duragloss line..

great products for the money...will rival some of the top contenders...a complete product package will keep you under your 100.00 budget..they ship for 4.95 for what ever you get

also can be found at some carquest stores

Duragloss Car Care Products (http://www.duragloss.com)

get..

Duragloss 105 Total Performance Polish ..it is called polish but is a sealant

DuraGloss Aquawax...a spray sealant to use monthly after a wash..really brings out the shine and slickness...

Collinite as a topper if you need one for winter ...can be found at some boat Marina`s or Advanced Auto can get it for you..

But check out the Duragloss line...you will not regret it..look at the posts here about it....

Al

Dan
12-29-2006, 08:40 AM
What Meguiars products do you currently have? Most people here are pretty brand focused, but the truth is you can get great results from most brands. If you are on a budget, use what you have. Like Grimm said, a PC is a wise investment, especially if you already have the polishes. Doing things by hand is very slow and tedious (a week to do what a PC can do in a day). The look you see here in many pics is all prep. The wax or sealant really adds maybe 5% to the look.

imported_MCA
12-29-2006, 11:35 AM
A key question - Do you intend to detail just your car(s) or others as well?

As yakky and grim stated above, the Porter Cable DA should be your first investment IF you intend to polish frequently - removing marring can be like pulling teeth if done by hand. I say if because it`s a matter of preference. I use to break out the PC for everything (polishing and applying as LSP). However these days, it`s relegated to polishing work - I can apply an LSP by hand faster and just as thin and even. I digress...

Anyways in regards to your original question, I recently tried the Hi-Temp line of polishes/levelers from Top of the Line (http://www.topoftheline.com/hitempproducts.html) and they perform extremely well at an unbeatable price (32oz for less than $8!). I think if you will be polishing many cars then Hi-Temp polishes may be a good line to start with . I actually prefer Menzerna polishes, but they are expensive and would not be good for your budget.

For LSP, get *any sealant of choice* and top with Duragloss Aquawax. Sounds strange buts AW really brings a lot to the table in terms of looks and added durability.

Hope that helps...MCA

wannafbody
12-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Zaino is well worth the money. You can get most of the Zaino stuff for under $150 interior and exterior. If you want to spend less the go with Mothers Powerpolish, Duragloss 105, AW.

Anthony O.
12-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Well, if budget is your main goal then Optimum.

PoliSeal

Protectant Plus

Optimum Tire Shine-Armor All-Bold&Bright for tires.

You don`t really need a glass cleaner as plain ol water works just great.

If you have a polisher than Optimum Polish and Hyper, as suggested earlier, are great not only performance wise but cost also.

AIO is also a nice product but can be costly.

No-Rinse is a nice product as you can use it not onlt to wash your car but also as a clay lube and quick detailer.

Anthony

Rfulmer
12-30-2006, 01:36 AM
My recommendations for the budget minded detailer:

Another vote for Duragloss. I`d recommend the Duragloss #105 ($10.00) topped with Duragloss Aquawax ($6.00). The Duragloss wash ($5.00) is also nice.

If you have a polisher I`d recommend Optimum polish ($20.00).

Tire foam ($5.00), just pick one....You can use your wash soap to clean the rims. Just get a good soft brush.

Meguiar`s Waffle Weave Drying towel ($8.00) from a lot of parts stores.

Sheep Skin wash mitt ($6.00)

For interior I would get:

Folex ($5.00) for your floor mats and carpet. It`s very cheap and can be had about anywhere and works pretty much better than anything out there....and it doesn`t have a bad odor either.

Meguiar`s Natural Shine vinyl and rubber protectant ($5.00) for the dash and such. Again, it can be had about anywhere (Autozone).

Swiffer ($.5.00) for dusting the inside of the car.. These things are great for getting dust and hanging onto it. I keep one tucked down inside my door all the time. You never know when the urge to dust will hit......I`m ready :-)

Stoners ($4.00) to clean your windows.

Woolite ($5.00) to clean leather seats if you have them. Mix 10-1 with water.

MF towels ($12.00) for a 25 pack at Sam`s

And on and on and on. Point is, there are a lot of nice products out there that won`t break the bank.

Russell

BlueBoxer1
12-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Why Woolite for leather? I have Lexol leather cleaner the spray kind. I heard to stay away from bars because they have glycerine, I guess I should check and see if the spray has it too. Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming! What`s a good "one stop shop" website where I can get my line-up and only pay shipping once?

STG
12-30-2006, 06:29 AM
As a guideline, I have about $50-$100 tops to spend on my exterior line-up, and about $50 for my interior line-up. In my garage I have some Meg paint cleaner and polish, but I`m happy to replace those if there is a "system" that works better. I also have lexol leather cleaner and conditioner which I`ll keep and use. I`d like to replace my carnauba with some synthetic that will last longer. I`ll need something for the dash, wheels, tires and glass (although maybe I can just use 303 on the tires since I`ll get that for the black trim, and I have some non-ammonia Windex kicking aorund here).

Although I still don`t fully get the whole "accelerator" concept, using polishes and waxes that cure in less than hour instead of in 24 hours makes sense to me since then I can recoat in the same day.

I know it`s over your budget, but this is what I use......

Porter Cable (or Meguiar`s G100)

Meguiar`s backing plate

Meguiar`s 8006 and 9006 pads

Meguiar`s #83, #80

Meguiar`s NXT Tech Wax or #21 sealant

(The above all work together very well. )

Meguiar`s Detailer Window Cleaner concentrate (makes 10 gallons and works great).

Meguiar`s Detailer Leather Cleaner and Conditioner (one step easy to use - good price).

Meguiar`s Detailer All Purpose Cleaner (concentrate - low concentrations for interior cleaning, higher for carpets, still higher for engine compartment)

Meguiar`s Quick Interior Detailer (one step product - cleaner and dressing for all interior surfaces)

Meguiar`s NXT Protectant (plastic, rubber vinyl)

Meguiar`s Gold Class Wheel Cleaner (safe for ALL wheel types including uncoated aluminum)

Meguiar`s Endurance tire dressing

Although NXT Tech Wax and #21 may take 12 - 24 hours to cure, according to Meguiar`s the added benefit of layering is minimal, if for no other reason that the process of applying a second coat mechanically (friction) removes some of the underlying coat.

Two coats applied one after the other ensures maximum coverage.

Obviously, I like Meguiar`s because their products perform well, work together with each other and are applied with a minimum of hocus pocus B.S. Further, it has been my experience that Mreguiar`s is the easiest company to get answers from and Mike Phillips knows his stuff and is available - he posts his cell number on MeguiarsOnLine.Com

For newbees, the MeguiarsOnLine has some of the best instructional threads. These are worth reading no matter which products you wind up choosing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~stan999/upload/Head-on-71K.jpg

firegate
12-30-2006, 08:06 AM
If you won`t be buying a polisher, I`d recommend picking up some polishes that work well by hand so you can at least have some type of paint correction. The 1z line works great by hand in my experience, and the Sonus polishes are supposed to work nicely by hand as well. A hand-polisher like the Polishin Pal or Power-Palm can be helpful there as well.

A product with fillers is also a good idea while working by hand to hide the defects that you can`t fix. Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose is a nice all-in-one cleaner/basecoat wax that fills well - top it with a carnauba or a glaze-friendly sealant like Poorboys EX/EX-P. If you do go the Zaino route as some suggested, Z5pro has decent filling abilities.

jdthompson
12-30-2006, 10:43 AM
I guess it depends on the paint condition, but on my new car I`ve pretty much settled on:

2 buckets with Grit Guards, Shmitt and Einszett Exclusive Glanz shampoo.

Carlack (basically Klasse AIO) paint cleaner.

Collinite 476 Wax

Chemical Guys Extreme Synthetic QD to help with drying

Sonus drying towels and applicators.

Einszett Tyre Foam.

And for the interior:

Einszett Cockpit Premium

Gliptone (not sure UK Gliptone brand is the same as the US Gliptone) Liquid Leather Cleaner and Conditioner

All that said, if I were in the US I`d probably just go buy a ton of Duragloss products as they seem dirt cheap over there and everyone seems to have only good things to say about them.

_Toast_
12-30-2006, 01:04 PM
this is a great thread! i was going to search for the same thing - and found this. subscribed.