PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts and a question about ONR

Pages : [1] 2

superstring
12-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I`ve been reading quite a bit here on the site about ONR and it got me wondering: does anyone use ONR just like a regular wash? By that I mean actually rinsing it off before drying. I know that some will say this defeats the main purpose of the product, but to me, if ONR works as well as it does without rinsing (by "encapsulating" the dirt), it should work even better with a rinse before drying. (Maybe even as well as Accumulator`s "Extreme Wash Technique" :secret :D)

People are always talking about the lubricity and foaming properties of various car washes, but it seems to me that Optimum may have hit the nail on the head with a product that lifts and encapsulates the dirt. So why not use it like any other "regular" wash?

Thoughts?

Juztang
12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Really the purpose of ONR is so you don`t have to get the hose out and rinse it off. It saves a lot of time and you don`t have to worry about water dripping from out of the trim and other crevices. I haven`t tried the way you are talking about. If you are wanting a regular wash the Optimum Car wash works great. It has tons of foam and leaves the paint pretty slick feeling.

thesacrifice
12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
theres nothing to rinse off.....

My drying towels are always clean after drying.

Scottwax
12-28-2006, 11:59 PM
I am sure you could use ONR to wash conventionally and that it would work well but using it as directed would be so much faster.

MattPersman
12-29-2006, 06:40 AM
its one of those things you just don`t get until you use it, the idea is strange and you are thinking no way, but then after a panel or 2 you are like "what the" "this really works" to heck with the hose, ONR for life :getdown

DM101
12-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Scottwax is right. My 05 car has seen a hose wash five times. Since I don`t drive my RX8 in the rain in just gets dust on it. You can take a pressureized sprayer (bug sprayer a good one) mix up the required mixture, i use double, in 2 gallons of distilled water and lightly spray your whole car down. Use MF towels to dry off rinsing or replacing if they get to dirty. Works like a charm. I ONR at least 3 times a week. Good for rims too, just don`t use the same MF towel you do the car with or do your rims last.

I am sure you could use ONR to wash conventionally and that it would work well but using it as directed would be so much faster.

Bioman
12-29-2006, 07:48 AM
The thing about "rinseless" wash systems like ONR is that they don`t get out all the dirt, wax buildup, etc in the cracks and crevices of a car. So, washings with a high pressure hose once in a while will help in addition to ONR.

Gottabekin
12-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, according to the product description:

"Add 1 ounce of No Rinse Wash & Shine to 2 gallons of water to make an excellent no rinse car wash."

"Add 1 ounce to wash water made with your regular car wash. "

So there, it sounds like you can use it as a regular wash.

Kin

Dan
12-29-2006, 08:56 AM
The thing about "rinseless" wash systems like ONR is that they don`t get out all the dirt, wax buildup, etc in the cracks and crevices of a car. So, washings with a high pressure hose once in a while will help in addition to ONR.

I agree to an extent, but using a thick sheepskin mit gets in all the tight spots with QEW. I do like using a pressure washer for the wheel wells and underside every once in a while too.

superstring
12-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I guess I`ll just have to try the stuff for myself. Oh, and while I think of it, Happy New Year to y`all! :)

brwill2005
12-29-2006, 05:12 PM
As of today, I am a new believer. The two cars I did were not that dirty, but the ONR seemed to work very well. Used one bucket with two gallons of water and one ounce of ONR. I used a MF wash mitt and dried with a Water Sprite. The wheels were done last with a MF towel. I am excited that ONR will save me time and money, and will help the environment also.

itb76
01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I hope I`m not too far off topic, but how do we get "ONR" added to the Autopia Acronyms page? I had a heck of a time finding out what y`all are talking about!

BTW I will be ordering some!

Eliot Ness
01-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I hope I`m not too far off topic, but how do we get "ONR" added to the Autopia Acronyms page? I had a heck of a time finding out what y`all are talking about!......They are in the process of updating that list:

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/75095-updating-abbreviation-list-secret-decoder-ring.html

Until it is updated here is a link that has some of the newer products listed (but I noticed that ONR is shown as ONRWS on his list):

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/78533-secret-decoder-ring-spreadsheet.html

superstring
01-01-2007, 05:16 PM
One last thought. Does anyone use this stuff with a foam gun?

Juztang
01-01-2007, 05:18 PM
It isn`t really designed for a foam gun. The Optimum Car Wash works great with a foam gun,lots of foam and leaves the paint slick like the ONR.