PDA

View Full Version : Pink Wax application help

BigHonu
12-28-2006, 04:19 AM
Can anyone provide some tips on applying FK1`s Pink Wax by hand?

I have used a foam sponge (Meguiars yellow) and microfiber applicator dampened with water and am having a difficult time. Removing it is no problem, just the application is giving me headaches.

The two major issues I have are:

Applicator gets extremely grabby and doesn`t slide well over the surface.

When the applicator begins to grab, I get small little balls of wax that form which end up being smeared over the area.

I have these problems whether applying over 2180, 2 week old KSG, 1000P and Pink itself.

As I am trying to do a comparison with 1000P, I have applied the two products in similar conditions and find the 1000P MUCH easier to apply (but slightly harder to remove).

I`m figuring it must be user error, but I can`t seem to resolve the issue.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as this product (and product line) is giving me the results I am looking for.

Aloha

Brian

euro
12-28-2006, 05:01 AM
You could always spritz some FK425 or 146 on the panel to give it some lube prior to applying PW. I do this with 1000P to help it out at times. It`s all compatible FK polymers, so it should be good to go.

DrSauekraut
12-28-2006, 06:06 AM
I also enjoy PW and 1000P . . . as with any paste wax, you should always dampen or spritz the applicator with QD or water. Good luck :bigups

BigHonu
12-28-2006, 06:18 AM
You could always spritz some FK425 or 146 on the panel to give it some lube prior to applying PW. I do this with 1000P to help it out at times. It`s all compatible FK polymers, so it should be good to go.

Thanks for the tip! I`ll give that a go when I can get the 425 in. I`ll try giving the panel a spritz with water in the meanwhile.

Might there be something wrong with the tin I have as I was under the impression that it is an overall easier product to use than the 1000P?

Aloha

Brian

atticdog
12-28-2006, 07:13 AM
how did you prep the surface before trying to wax?

Glossmaster
12-28-2006, 07:34 AM
As for me & my PW endeavors, I use a mf or terry app to apply dampend with distilled water. The key is applying the wax very thinly. Stick your app in the tin of wax & give it a twist or two. It should spread like a dream. Continue to work it into the surface using back & forth motions ( left to right for verticle surfaces & north to south for horizontal surfaces.even a combo of both) You can also try a spritz of 425 on the panel as you apply the PW. When using PW, apply a thin layer to the entire vehicle. Then come back to where you started for removal. I find that PW removes best when allowed to set up for 15-20 mins. Finish that baby up with a slight spritz of 425 after wax removal for your final buff.

My guess is that you might be loading up the app with too much wax. (just a guess)Also, make sure your starting your session with a clean applicator. Remember not to use fabric softener or too much laundry detergent when cleaning your apps. Hope this helps.

Bigpoppa3346
12-28-2006, 10:15 AM
For me, Pink Wax has been the easiest LSP to apply that I have tried, and I don`t dampen the applicator or spritz it with QD.:nixweiss

Like others have said, dampen it or spritz it with QD. Another thought might be to make the paint slick prior to application(like a FK 425 wipe down before application) so that it can glide more smoothly over that.

silkstone
12-28-2006, 12:50 PM
when I got my tin, like you, i found it to be a bit hard at the top. After a few uses, it loosens up quite a bit, gets creamier. Probably just the way the cake is dried. As far as FK1000P goes, I never let it dry completely. Too much work. Time it just before it dries... still get the same shine & protection. Most of the chemical reaction takes place in 2 mins...

onceaweekwaxer
12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
i have three tins of pink wax all ordered the same time and mine is very soft one swipe with the pad and it is creamy is this normal , its not like natttys or #26 paste were you have to rub it a few times to get any on your pad

Guy
12-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Maybe melt your tin down and let it reharden? I did this with a product that got warm while it was on it`s side then cooled down that way. I put it in a pan with water halfway up the tin then turned the heat on low, slowly melting the wax. Goodluck!

BigHonu
12-28-2006, 03:02 PM
how did you prep the surface before trying to wax?

Surface went through these steps:

Sonus SFX-1 orange pad

FPII white pad

AIO white pad

KSG by hand

I then took off the KSG on some panels with an IPA wipe down and applied the Pink or a combo of 1000P/Pink or 2180/1000p/Pink.

Other panels were left with the KSG on and I did either the Pink by itself or the Pink over 1000P.

Thanks for the tip about putting it on thinly.

I would not call the product in the tin `creamy` by any stretch. Harder than the 1000P. I`ll try and remelt it.

Again, thank you very much for all of your help!!!

Aloha

Brian

BigHonu
01-04-2007, 07:17 PM
when I got my tin, like you, i found it to be a bit hard at the top. After a few uses, it loosens up quite a bit, gets creamier. Probably just the way the cake is dried. As far as FK1000P goes, I never let it dry completely. Too much work. Time it just before it dries... still get the same shine & protection. Most of the chemical reaction takes place in 2 mins...

Just to add an update on my tin. I took some paper towel and took off the fine `crust` on the top of the cake. Just stuffed the wad of the paper towel in and gave it a few twists. Now, the PW is nice and soft and creamy. Thanks again for the help!

I have tried contacting Finish Kare for help, but no response. Without this place, I would have been trying to send it back.

As an aside, I left some 1000P on my wife`s car and forgot that it was on there. A little over half an hour later I rushed out to take it off, and it came off with very little effort. Not quite as easy as PW, but not much harder either.