PDA

View Full Version : Product usage limitations on 3M ClearBra?

BenjiBoy650
12-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey all, sorry I haven`t done a search on this question yet but I have a hunch that this might be a pretty unique subcase.

When my uncle had his 05 Odyssey fitted with a 3M ClearBra, the installer told him that waxes with silicone should not be used on the ClearBra. My question is 1) what waxes contain silicone 2) why do they contain silicone and 3) why does it matter. I`m actually thinking at the moment that the installer may have meant PTFE/Teflon, or was making a general statement (ie. "don`t use Meguiars, I`ve had bad luck with them"). Anybody hear of anything like this?

TIA

MorBid
12-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Silicones can be found in most every synthetic car care product with the exception of Pure Carnuba waxes and those which are labeled "Bodyshop Safe". It`s exact use escapes me at the moment.

I`ve waxed mine with products I know contain silicone and have had no adverse effects.

Read the below information from 3M themselves.

MorBiD

3M`s PPF FAQ (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/FAQs/)

Q. Does Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film come in colors?

A. Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film is available only as a clear film. This feature makes the film virtually invisible while protecting the beauty of your vehicle.

Q. How is Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film maintained?

A. Once applied, refrain from washing the vehicle in an automated car wash for 24 hours. Washing after that time presents no problem, and no special care need be taken for the film.

Q. Can I use wax over Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film?

A. Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3Mâ„¢ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used.

Q. What products does 3M recommend to best maintain Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film?

A. 3M makes a variety of products to help maintain the beauty of your vehicle. 3Mâ„¢ Car Wash Soap (3M Part #39000), 3Mâ„¢ Show Car Paste Wax (3M Part #39526 and 3Mâ„¢ Perfect-It Show Car Liquid Wax (3M Part #39026). The best surface cloth to use is the 3Mâ„¢ Perfect-ITâ„¢ III Detailing Cloth (3M Part #39016) since others may scratch the surface of the film.

Inzane
08-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I just took delivery on a new car recently :woohoo: and I got 3M Clear Bra film installed (bumper, hood, fenders, lights, mirrors, rocker panels, etc.)

I got instructions that I should wax the film at least twice a year, but to avoid using:

- paste waxes

- pigmented waxes (ie. color?)

So obviously a product like Meg`s #26 liquid would be a no-no, as would Natty`s Red paste. Two obvious ones there.

What`s the reason they don`t recommend paste wax? Too easy to catch residue in the cracks?

If I have to skip all my paste waxes that means no Souveran, P21S, #16, Natty`s or Natty`s Red. If I skip colored liquid waxes, that means no #26, probably no #20, no ColorX, etc.

All that leaves is Clearkote VM & CMW, KAIO, 4*UPP, NXT...

What do you guys use on your 3M film?

Thanks.

UpNorth
08-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I got a new car this spring as well and have a clear bra. I miss my natty`s blue and may also set aside my collinite 476s (my usual winter wax.)

I`ve had Clearkote`s Carnuba Moose Wax, buffed off with Optimum (spray) car wax on since May. yesterday I did a wash, clay, polish and tried Optimum`s Opti-Seal for the first time. I added another coat this morning. I`ll probably add another coat of OS after my next wash. Then I expect I`ll top it with CMW, unless I am so in love with how the OOS looks on its own. My paint is black sapphire metallic.

The car is still in the garage but it looks great with the OOS so far.