PDA

View Full Version : Problems with pc pads

Pages : [1] 2

HD_Eddie
04-20-2005, 01:39 PM
This problem just started a few weeks ago. None of my pads will stay centered on my pc. I have 2 LC and 3 Meg pads and none of them will stay on the pc on speeds above 3. I`ve never had any issues before with any of the pads. What could be causing the problem? I was thinking maybe the counterbalancer or the backing plate but nothing has changed with anything. Any ideas??? :dunno

JasonS
04-20-2005, 01:43 PM
What size pads are you using?

CharlesW
04-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Sounds like the "hooks" on your backing plate might be worn or damaged. Can you try the pads on someone else`s backing plate? Hate to see you pop for $15+ and find out that isn`t the problem.

Charles

JaredPointer
04-20-2005, 01:56 PM
How old are the pads? Some of my Meg`s pads don`t stick very well, but I think it`s the actual velcro on the back of the pad.

HD_Eddie
04-20-2005, 01:59 PM
What size pads are you using?

The Megs are 6.5" and the LC`s are the 7.5` vc pads.

Charles,

I can`t think of anyone the has a backing plate that I could try. If Lowe`s carries them, I could pick one up and try it though. If that`s not the problem, could always return it.

HD_Eddie
04-20-2005, 02:02 PM
How old are the pads? Some of my Meg`s pads don`t stick very well, but I think it`s the actual velcro on the back of the pad.

The finishing pad has only seen limited use and the cutting pad was used for the first time on Monday. My go to pad from Meg`s has always been the polishing pad.

On a side note, you wouldn`t happen to be the same JaredPointer from TS?

JasonS
04-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Most likely is the backing plate.

HD_Eddie
04-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Most likely is the backing plate.

Since I`m starting to believe it is the backing plate, what`s the difference between the regular and the flexible one on your website Jason? Is one prefered over the other. The plate on my pc is the original that came with it.

JaredPointer
04-20-2005, 02:13 PM
On a side note, you wouldn`t happen to be the same JaredPointer from TS?

Yeah, that`s me. FWIW, I like a flexible backing plate. Seems like it give a little room for error, so to speak.

JasonS
04-20-2005, 02:32 PM
The Flexible Backing Plates are the best ones, made from polyurethane. Polyurethane helps to dampen vibrations to prevent the polisher from bouncing and is flexible enough to bend when using the edge of the pads.
They 6 inch backing plate works great on the 7.5" and 6.5" pads.

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/autogeek/lc43175.jpeg

rollman
04-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Backing plates don`t last forever but the Edge 2000 adapter does :D Sounds like the prefect time to change over to Edge 2000 pads .

CharlesW
04-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Backing plates don`t last forever but the Edge 2000 adapter does :D Sounds like the prefect time to change over to Edge 2000 pads .Good idea!
Don`t wait until you have a couple of Velcro backing plates and 8 Velcro pads that you don`t want to get rid of. (Who me?)

Charles

Aaron@IAP
04-21-2005, 07:54 AM
With Edge2000 there is no Velcro and no front and back of the pad. The pads has foam or wool on both sides and attaches from the center for auto centering and plate protection. We drive the pad from the center with a flexible plastic disc instead of a thin piece of velcro which is prone to tearing off and loosing its grip.

wifehatescar
04-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Backing plates don`t last forever but the Edge 2000 adapter does :D
I beg to differ with that statement. :nono I have had 2 adapters fail where one of the balls fell out. I must be the only one....I`m trying my luck with velcro again.

Aaron@IAP
04-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Please tell us the circumstances regarding your problem with the adatpers, and if anyone else is having this problem. Also please note to all our devoted Edge2000 customers we offer support and warrenty the adapter against defects. If anyone has a problem with the adapter simply return it and we will replace it.