PDA

View Full Version : One-day detail

bonoz
12-27-2006, 12:30 AM
I am having so much trouble imagining how some people detail their cars in ONE day.

I mean.. It took me a day to wash my car and start-off on my claying. Claying took me 3-4 days. Then I washed again. Now I`m onto polishing and I`m sure it will take me another 3 days.

Of-coarse I`m only spending 3-4 hours each day, and I`m a noob at detailing.

But will I get better?

imported_JoshVette
12-27-2006, 12:42 AM
I am having so much trouble imagining how some people detail their cars in ONE day.

I mean.. It took me a day to wash my car and start-off on my claying. Claying took me 3-4 days. Then I washed again. Now I`m onto polishing and I`m sure it will take me another 3 days.

But will I get better?

It should not take you 3-4 hours to claybar your car even for a nooby.

Why is it taking you soooooo long to do these process`s??

What are you detailing, a Panzer tank??:grinno:

Do you have a PC or anything tools to use??

Thorough washing should take about 1 hour.

Claybar depending should not take longer then 2 1/2 hours.

One time machine polishing should take about 1-2 hours.

Waxing, maybe 1/2 hour.

kyotousa
12-27-2006, 02:07 AM
it takes me 1 hr to clay a regular sedan

you drive a bus?

SVECobraR
12-27-2006, 02:40 AM
hey don`t worry about it, my first detail on my car took like almost three days also. Claying took me over 3 hours also, and 4steps of machine polishing took me like 8 hours. It still take me long but i can get a nice sized truck done in about 5-6 hours now.

bonoz
12-27-2006, 03:53 AM
Geez....

Then yeah I guess I do drive a double-decker bus :S

No, I think maybe because I work only for 2 hours a day or something.

Problem is that I get "bored" working alone in the garage. If I have someone to keep me company maybe? or someone to keep me going maybe...

But I guess also because I`m a perfectionist. Once I got used to the "claying" I had to sort of go back over everything and reclay. Then I had to wash my car again.

The second time I washed my car it took me about an hour. I guess maybe because I print the guides out and I read then do it, read then do it... so I guess that takes some time.

I guess all of these factors add into play and thus the time.

To be fair though I have a full-time job so I only get a few hours of free time everyday.

I hope it doesn`t harm the car that I`m doing this over a long period...

ZoranC
12-27-2006, 04:30 AM
Don`t worry about it, just take your time and enjoy, you are doing this for yourself not for client, you don`t have to race the clock. As time passes by you will be gaining speed but still you have the luxury of dictating tempo based on what you think matters.

And don`t worry, it won`t harm the car as long as you remember not to let products sit without being removed.

brwill2005
12-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Even after ten years of detailing, two professionally, I am still getting more efficient. Keep practicing and read as much as you can here and other information sources.

Glossequation
12-27-2006, 09:51 AM

But will I get better?

3-4 days to clay and one day to wash your car? Do you have arms and legs?

Stuff
12-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Geez....

Then yeah I guess I do drive a double-decker bus :S

No, I think maybe because I work only for 2 hours a day or something.

Problem is that I get "bored" working alone in the garage. If I have someone to keep me company maybe? or someone to keep me going maybe...

But I guess also because I`m a perfectionist. Once I got used to the "claying" I had to sort of go back over everything and reclay. Then I had to wash my car again.

The second time I washed my car it took me about an hour. I guess maybe because I print the guides out and I read then do it, read then do it... so I guess that takes some time.

I guess all of these factors add into play and thus the time.

To be fair though I have a full-time job so I only get a few hours of free time everyday.

I hope it doesn`t harm the car that I`m doing this over a long period...

Do you have a radio? I always listen to music and sing along as I detail.

Don`t worry about going slow you will get faster as time goes on. But when you are detailing constantly think about ways to incress your speed. For example try to keep MFs and products you need to use close to you so you dont have to walk around finding them. After time you will est. a routine and get faster.

bonoz
12-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Hah Thanks guys; I`ll let you know if I do improve.

bonoz
12-27-2006, 12:14 PM
I guess also because I`m on break, and I have absolutely nothing to stop me from being lazy. So laziness is another factor... but anyways...

David703
12-27-2006, 12:17 PM
yea, the more you detail the faster you get. I polished my bronco with a rotory and it took about 3 hours.. Last year that would have taken me the weekend. Keep practicing and you`ll get faster.