PDA

View Full Version : Need to fix a couple rock chips...total bodywork newbie

BTF/PTM
12-26-2006, 08:29 PM
I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier truck. I love the "Super Black" color but man, it`s a ***** to keep up with. I`m not being super picky about the body because, obviously, it`s a truck. It`s gonna get beat on and played with. But...

I discovered two nasty rock chips on the upper part of the hood, nowhere near where a bug deflector or chip guard would work. My guess is something airborne that was small enough for me not to see it coming (the chips arent` real big, maybe 1/8" across circular). That, or something fell from a tree onto the hood while it was parked.

I have the Nissan factory paint pen and touch-up bottle, so it`s the proper factory color and comes with a clearcoat applicator as well. I`ve never done any kind of touch-up work before. Any specific things I should do before I dab on the new paint? How long should I let the paint dry before I put on the clear? Is it actually as simple as the bottle says? The instructions there are vague at best, it just says "wash chipped area and dab chip lightly". Hopefully I can at least keep the body chip free and looking nice above the rocker panels. Thanks guys.