PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Valve Caps

pgp
12-25-2006, 11:02 PM
I hope everyone had/is having a great holiday.

I received some of these caps today. Are they a joke or do they actually work? I guess they would be a early warning and not a true measure of pressure. Should I put them on ? Thanks,

icu812
12-25-2006, 11:27 PM
I bought a set for my wifes car (Ford 500)about a month ago(I think they were 36 or 38#) filled all tires to recommended spec 44# low pro tires.

yesterday while going over to visit my parents I noticed that 1 was red , she had picked up a nail !

had these not have been on there she probably would have a flat b-4 knowing it.I would not put them on my car (see avvy) but they look OK on hers and she loves them.

it is a great way to visually check and see if your tire is low b-4 you get into trouble. so, I would give them 1 thumb up.

they would`ve gotten 2 thumbs up if they made them in more variations. as I`m not keen on running the tire 8-10#`s under before you know it`s low.

in a nutshell it`s cheap insurance. but ,you should look at them each time you drive the car

HTH

paul34
12-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I guess they are ok, although personally I believe one should check tire pressures with a quality analog or digital gauge at least once every two weeks.

I personally use an Accutire digital gauge from Autogeek... its supposed to be one of the most accurate gauges out there.

I think something like this would work for someone you know who doesn`t spend a great deal (or any) time on vehicle care.

At any rate, I don`t think there`s any harm in putting them on.

Black240SX
12-26-2006, 12:57 AM
One concern is that the cap may not be as reliable as a regular tire valve. If it fails it could let all the air out of the tire.

pgp
12-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Paul and Black , I agree with both of your comments. Everyone in the family got these things. I tend to check my tires much more than everyone else. I don`t want anyone to not look at them until it;s too late, if there is a leak.

imported_Devilsown
12-26-2006, 10:45 AM
all hail my biult in tire pressre reader ;)

no laughing at me i cant type worth crap its cold at my work (aircraft hanger) and im wearing gloves...

pgp
12-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I think I will return my set, I don`t want any problems with them,they are plastic. Thanks for the help.