PDA

View Full Version : Safe degreaser

rockford33
04-20-2005, 07:46 AM
As some of you may know from previous posts, I am undergoing a restoration/clean up of my summer ride. As part of that, I am polishing anything metal under the hood that I can get my grubby little hands on (watching too much American Hot Rod I guess). Since some of the parts are aluminum, I don`t want to use Simple Green. I would actually prefer not to use a spray since I have some of the engine apart and don`t want to get stuff where it shouldn`t go by spraying it in the engine bay. What is a good, safe degreaser to clean some of the non-removable metal parts (hard lines, etc.) with a minimum of mess?

Thanks.

Vrm Vrm
04-20-2005, 09:02 AM
When you said "safe" I thought you meant "environmentally." :)

I`d recommend 303 Aerospace Cleaner if you`re looking for a degreaser or all-around cleaner. They claim it`s so safe that you can pour it in a mountain stream and not affect the environment?! You can use it full-strength to degrease, or dilute down for a fabric cleaner, etc. I use it for cleaning just about everything in my car and house.

I guess you could apply it by rag, or soak parts in it, if you didn`t want to spray.

Froogle link (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?price1=10&price2=&hl=en&lr=&rls=en-us&tab=ff&oi=froogler&scoring=p&price=between&q=%22aerospace+cleaner%22&btnG=Search+Froogle)

Big Leegr
04-20-2005, 09:48 AM
I`ve used car shampoo to clean engines before. One by Crystal Glo, I believe, is actually made to be used undiluted to clean engines and aluminum specifically.

Rockpick
04-20-2005, 10:29 PM
I thought you were talking about Meguiar`s Safe D-Greaser... ;)

I`ve utilzed this product on aluminum parts at 10:1 with no adverse side effects. I particularly like this product with a foaming sprayer on wheel wells (since they snubbed Citri-Gel).

RP :D

NEW AGAIN
04-20-2005, 11:16 PM
I second a citrus degreaser

Rock pick
Citri-Gel is still being use just not by Meg. you can e-mail newagain@ec.rr.com and I can give further info

Rockpick
04-21-2005, 06:11 AM
I second a citrus degreaser

Rock pick
Citri-Gel is still being use just not by Meg. you can e-mail newagain@ec.rr.com and I can give further info

EXCELLENT!

Any idea if they were the same company that made Final Detail for Meg`s as well and, if they are, can a person still get their paws on it? THANKS!!

RP :D

Mr. Clean
04-21-2005, 11:11 AM
...303 Aerospace Cleaner if you`re looking for a degreaser or all-around cleaner. They claim it`s so safe that you can pour it in a mountain stream and not affect the environment?!

Well, I can see how they might claim that, because I find it about as effective as plain water for cleaning and/or degreasing. Of all the products that I have tried. I believe that I can say that this is the most disappointing product I have purchased. I am glad that I only purchased the 32 oz. spray bottle.

Rockpick, I`m still using both Final Detail and Citri-Gel. When the word first went out that they were being discontinued, I stocked up. I`m down to my last 1 1/2 gallon of each.

rockford33
04-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have about a 1-1/2 gallons of Citri-Gel hanging around. I`d be interested to find out where I could get more of it since Meg`s no longer carries it. I was actually able to get the piece off the car last night. It`s a hard line for the vacuum system (brake booster line). Hit it some with the Dremel and wire brush last night to clean it up some. Next I will wetsand it some with 1000 or 1500 grit sandpaper, then finally buff it out with either the Dremel or my bench grinder and some nice soft cotton buffs. Hopefully it will come out nice and shiny!! I am going to try out some of Eastwood`s Diamond Clear (I think that`s what it`s called) to keep the shine with a minimum of maintenance.