PDA

View Full Version : Bought an air compressor, any use for detailing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

joestang
12-24-2006, 05:14 AM
I have a PC 7336 (just bought it), and am starting to acquire some more pads/polishes.

I also got a nice 33 gal 150psi compressor for christmas. Is there any system to use this with like some sort of medium powered water sprayer? I like the way drive-thru car washes (no I dont use the brushes, relax) have the higher pressure fan-style spray pattern. Plus, my hose is like 100` long cuz the spiggot is on the other side of my house. :argue

Any other suggested uses for it as far as detaining goes?

Ceezer
12-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Some of these guys talk about using theirs to blow out crevices/cracks after/during their drying process.

imported_Totoland Mach
12-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Good purchase! I use an air compressor for tons of detailing spots:

1. When I degrease engine compartments and power wash, I dry with air (especially around wiring harness` and electrical boxes.

2. I use air especially around body seams and wheel lug nut recess`

3. Biggest use is interior cleaning. I blow air from the rear carpet areas to the front. Especially in between the seats and center console...you wouldn`t believe what object are lodged there!

4. For cleaning leather seats, dashboards, and door panels. I use a boar`s hair brush and diluted warm water + liquid soap. Scrub a seat panel, portion of dash, etc with the brush (including switches), and air compressor nozzle blast the residue into a terry cloth towel (otherwise it will blow old soap all over the place). It makes your interior work first class and the compressed air removes water from switches easily.

There`s probably more, but I can`t think of anything right now.

Toto

Ceezer
12-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Wow, I never even thought of blowing the dirt/debris out from under and between the seats.

a.k.a. Patrick
12-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Spot drying too. I seriously dont know how anyone could detail without one. Like Craig, i use mine for blowing out nuisance water from door handles, mirrors, emblems, tires, wheels, lug nuts, grills, gutters. Blow dust out of vents, dash, door pockets, stereo faceplates, defrosters, blow leaves out of door hinges, especially useful on lower front air intakes on Porsches!

Customer have a low tire? Add a couple lbs (with their permission!). Boy oh boy, the list goes on. Im contemplating a air driven Random Orbital for polishing.....

MorBid
12-24-2006, 11:47 PM
I`d have to agree that a air compressor is a must have for any serious car fanatic.

Pat and the other have already mentioned some of the uses (drying out nooks and grannies after washing) is a big plus for avoiding water spots and streaks.

They are so cheap these days it`s like why not have one.

Accumulator
12-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I too use it to get trapped water out of nooks and crannies, couldn`t get by without one.

joestang- I`ve tried a few siphon-feed setups that combine the air compressor with liquid cleaners and/or hoses. None of the ones I`ve tried ever worked all that well. I think you`ll need a pressure washer for what you`re considering.

David Fermani
12-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Air is a professional detailer`s best friend. I won`t even think about touching a car without it.

ZoranC
12-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Some people use air compressor with fluid evacuators, like one from Mityvac.

imported_doctordon
12-25-2006, 03:46 PM
I got a 4" air-polisher from Harbor Frieght that works great. It was maybe $30?! Like everyone said: nothing like air to clean out cracks and pre-dry seams.

j i m

Dan
12-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Just make sure when you are drying stuff, your garage (or driveway) is clean or still wet, otherwise all that dust and dirt gets back up onto your car.

joestang
12-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys all good tips. Too bad its now winter and I`ll only be handwashing it every couple weeks to get the salt off. :(

Glossequation
12-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Some of these guys talk about using theirs to blow out crevices/cracks after/during their drying process.

Do it you`ll never go back to conventional drying with just a towel. I myself use a leaf blower and it just gets those last bits of water out of the door handles, around the grille, foglights, body molding, etc...

PRB
12-27-2006, 01:32 PM
I also got a nice 33 gal 150psi compressor for christmas. Is there any system to use this with like some sort of medium powered water sprayer?

Sears does make an attachment to hook a water hose on the air line. I used one ages ago, not fully understanding the pressure from machines and hoping this accessory would be a cheaper alternative. It was not. The pressure was about equal to an open ended hose with your thumb covering most of the opening to create a jet. Slightly stronger, but not much

There was another attachment to siphon chemicals through a bottle and force them out with the air. While I`d hoped it would be an alternative to spray bottles, I was mistaken again. This accessory just atomized the chemical into clouds instead of landing much product where it was aimed.

joestang
12-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks PRB, I might check it out anyways. My water pressure kind of blows since my hose is so long, so any extra help I get may be worth the extra hassle. :2thumbs: