PDA

View Full Version : Bought Some New Wax Today...

Setec Astronomy
12-24-2006, 12:16 AM
...at Lowe`s. Last time I was there I was admiring the big (1 lb.) can of SC Johnson Paste Wax ("Enriches, beautifies and protects wood, metal, leather, and plastics") in the floor care aisle. I`ve got a couple of spots on my hardwood floors where the finish is wearing a bit thin, and I was intrigued by the last line of the description: "Excellent for antique furniture and worn or damaged wood." It was a bargain (I guess) for $4.98.

It says that for floors you should use a solvent based cleaner beforehand, so I was looking at the nearby cleaners, and was drawn to the SC Johnson One Step No Buff Wax, which is a "Waterless formula. Won`t harm wood floors." and "Cleans deep. Lifts away dirt and heel marks." This stuff sounds real watery and says it`s combustible, so hey, I guess it`s a solvent based cleaner. It was $5.74. My plan is to use this as a "base", and the paste wax as a topper.

I probably have enough car wax to do all the floors in the house...OTOH, since the paste floor wax says it`s good for metal, maybe I found a cheap product for the car!

Spilchy
12-24-2006, 08:02 AM
I use Collinite 476s on the front door, A few years ago I sanded, stained and applied 5 coats of McClosky Marine Grade Polyurethane (light sanding bewteen coats) to form a thick, almost glass-like sheet of protection. So I would apply 476s a few times a year. The door still looks brand new!

I guess you can use any paste wax as long as the surface isn`t porous. We had some paste wax in a large orange tin that could be used on furniture. Almost looked like an oversized tin of NuFinish. The name eludes me. My brother bought it at the local paint store.

But I`d be curious to see how this 1lb of wax works on damaged wood given that it seems like it would just saturate the pores of the wood and not buff out leaving a stained-like apearance in places.