PDA

View Full Version : Another "help a new guy out" thread :)

ChiefRes
12-23-2006, 08:34 AM
You guys must get tired of these threads, but I can`t help myself....

I`ve got a 2004 Acura TSX in satin silver metallic. My regimen thus far has been NXT wash, Clay Magic clay bar, and P21S. It honestly looks pretty good (gotta love silver), but I`d like to get more serious with my detailing. Plus, my lease is up next year and I plan on purchasing a 911--so I want to get my skills up before making that plunge. Now the questions.....

I just got a PC for xmas. Lake County pads. Also just ordered the Optimum detailing kit from Autogeek (compound, polish, and poli-seal.)

What do I do now? I`m not sure I need the OC at this point, as my paint has pretty minimal swirls and defects. So I should polish with the OP and use the poli-seal as a sealant? Or is the poli-seal a sort of "light polish" as well? Should I stick with P21S after the paint is prepped, or go with another sealant like Klasse or Zaino?

Sorry for the noob questions--I`d just like to get started!

Many thanks,

Justin

imported_MCA
12-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Since Acura clear tends to be on the soft side (IMO), I would hit it up first with the poli-seal + white pad combo. If that does not work, I would step up to OP. OP should definitely remove the minor marring but no need to remove more clear than necessary.

In regards to your last step product (LSP) - P21S, Klasse, and Zaino are great choices for silver. It`s kind of hard for silver to get the depth and wetness of a dark-colored vehicle - I actually like the candy-coated, armor-laden look of Klasse or Zaino. However, my preferred LSP on silver is Four Star UPP. Perform a search and you`ll find many silver + LSP threads as well.

EDIT: Forgot to say :welcome to Autopia!

MorBid
12-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Welcome aboard Justin:

As far as correction goes, I never decide what I need to do till I see what I need to do. That way I`m not over doing it and wasting product plus creating work for myself or under doing it and wasting time without achiving results.

LSP`s are a personal preference. You`ll find as many combo`s and favorites as there are Autopians.

If your getting a new whip, there shouldn`t be any major correction needed there, unless you run it through car washes or are putting swirls in yourself while detailing.

For new or relatively new cars that have been taken care of (finish wise) I keep it simple.

Develop and use a good wash technique and keep her sealed/waxed up.

I haven`t used OP yet but from the product description it seems like a sealant and light swirl remover.

MorBiD

ChiefRes
12-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the help guys :thx

I`ve done some subsequent searches here on the Poli-Seal, and I`ve learned a bunch more. This place is really a terrific resource. I`m sure I`ll have tons more questions once I start working on the car.

I haven`t really decided if I want to try a sealant like Zaino or not. I might just do it. I`ve used the P21S for a couple of years--might as well try something new!

Anyway, thanks again for the help. If anyone else has thoughts on my car, keep it coming.

MorBid
12-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Why not use both and get the best of both worlds.

I always use a Sealant (one similar to Poli-Seal) before waxing to help with cleaning that final bit of polish off (ensure proper bonding for the wax).

Sealants to me they make a great base for either synthetic or Carnuba waxes.

MorBiD

ChiefRes
12-23-2006, 04:44 PM
I might just try that out.

If I`m going to use the Optimum products to polish and seal, which Zaino product would I use as a LSP?

MorBid
12-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Well you got me there, I`ve never used any Zanio stuff. But I would imagine you could pick the one you want to try and are comfortable with and give it a go.

Rfulmer
12-23-2006, 07:28 PM
I like Zaino Z-2. You`ll need to mix it with ZFX the first time (and again if you want to do multi coats). Z-6 and Z-8 go well with it also...I really love Z-6.

It`s easy to apply and very easy to take off. It`s supposed to have a long life too but I haven`t used it long enough to know for myself yet.

With a new car I would read up on proper washing, I found this site to be extremely educational in both how to use something and what to use.

The only problem I have had here is with my money..... I went from having some dish soap and a brush on a stick to use when washing my cars to having an entire wall in my garage loaded with different products. I also painted the inside of my garage and put a polymer coating on my garage floors (not to mention cleaning it out). My wallet has never felt so thin.

Russell

MorBid
12-23-2006, 08:44 PM
And now you know all the joys of Detailing :chuckle: :chuckle: