PDA

View Full Version : Little tips and tricks that refine your process?

imported_MCA
12-22-2006, 10:31 PM
I wanted to know people`s opinion on this often overlooked topic. Many users will often strike down worthy, capable products due to using the wrong application tools or method. I understand it is generally a matter of preference and/or personal technique but there are often discovered "secrets" that go unshared. Obtaining a picture-perfect finish takes hard work and time...but some ways are harder and take longer than others. Heck, some of my little idiosyncrasies may completely fail for another individual, but if it works for 10 other people then it`s typing worth doing...Anyways onto a couple of tricks that I have tried and/or learned along the way. NOTE: Some of these were learned here in Autopia but you would have to delve into thousands of threads to find them.

- Klasse SG can be a pain to in the rear to remove if applied too thick. In order to obtain the required whisper-thin application, I use a 4 oz mister. I believe I got mine near the “sample” section in the local Wal-Mart. I mist twice on an MF pad and then apply to the car surface. That`s usually good enough to cover a door (4-door car). Whether your prefer WOWO or waiting the required drying time, removal should never be a problem.

- A soap holder/container from the same “sample” section at Wal-Mart is great at holding detailing clay. My opened/used clay has been in its holder for close to a year and it has remained pliable with no signs of hardening or physical change. Obviously, you need to make sure that the container is air tight.

- The *bottle* for the Meguiar`s Mist & Wipe Quik Detailer is damn near perfect in my opinion. Besides the bottle being ergonomic, the spray head just seems to atomize the right amount of product in a perfect circle. Also, there are no “cap-twisting” to find the spray-setting - I really hate constantly twisting the cap to find the perfects spray pattern. In my experience, using too much product can lead to streaking or unwanted hazing. This spray head addresses that. I currently have 3 of these bottles in my arsenal (1 filled with Zaino Z6, 1 filled with Meg`s Last Touch, and 1 filled with Meg`s Glass Cleaner – 3 products known to streak if you use too much). It`s kind of strange that I value the bottle more than the product. A positive way to use up the QD portion is to add 1 ounce to your car wash solution – It greatly adds lubricity which should in theory reduce marring.

Anyways, I`m pretty sure that I have got more small, little things to share, but they aren`t coming to mind right now so I`ll leave the thread open to everyone to contribute. Share how you have refined your technique or methods - We should all be in the "giving" mood right now :D

a.k.a. Patrick
12-23-2006, 12:49 AM
One I learned today while using Optimum PoliSeal was to add some FS UPPS to the mix. While polishing, I would spritz the pad with Four Star Ultimate Paint Protectant for added protective qualities.

In dry weather, I will spritz the carpet/mats with water while vacuuming to keep static down.

danforz
12-25-2006, 05:22 AM
I`m about to Klasse today, curious if anyone else has had good experience with the spray bottle method?

klnyc
12-25-2006, 09:23 AM
I mixed KSG w/water. I use those 2.5oz spray bottle that I brought from a beatuy supply store. The ratio Im using was 2oz KSG and .5 water. And it work like a charm.

krouchchocolate
12-26-2006, 05:14 AM
what is WOWO? Wipe on Wipe off?

imported_steveo3002
12-26-2006, 05:24 AM
what is WOWO? Wipe on Wipe off?

yes it is:2thumbs:

JohnZ3MC
12-26-2006, 02:06 PM
A small tip that saves a ton of time and effort:

Cleaning wheel wells -

Use a dedicated toilet bowl brush with a long handle.

Spritz the wells with your fav. apc, then insert the brush from the bottom of the wheel well. not the top, not the sides. Bottom only. Work up and agitate as you move the brush around.

My tires fill the wheel well so tightly there`s no gap for the brush to fit through the sides or top so I must insert it through the bottom area and your situation is probably similar.

Rinse then spritz in AA.

The wells are cleaned faster than it takes to read this,

-John C.

imported_MCA
12-26-2006, 02:23 PM
A small tip that saves a ton of time and effort:

Cleaning wheel wells -

Use a dedicated toilet bowl brush with a long handle.

Spritz the wells with your fav. apc, then insert the brush from the bottom of the wheel well. not the top, not the sides. Bottom only. Work up and agitate as you move the brush around.

My tires fill the wheel well so tightly there`s no gap for the brush to fit through the sides or top so I must insert it through the bottom area and your situation is probably similar.

Rinse then spritz in AA.

The wells are cleaned faster than it takes to read this,

-John C.

Thanks for the contribution. I have space between my tires and the fenders to fit my hand and a small sponge. It`s nice having a clean well, but my arm hurts like heck afterwards. I`m going to have to try this out.

rx280
12-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I agree with MCA about the Meg`s Quik Detailer spray bottles: easy to hold and an excellent spray pattern. I`ve got a QEW solution in one, for doing pre-wash treating of the dirtiest areas (primarily in winter), and a 30% solution of Castol Super Clean in another. Another empty Quik Detailer bottle is waiting for me to decide what to put in it.

Putting clay in a soap container sounds like an idea I`ll have to try.