PDA

View Full Version : What is your mix of antifreeze washer fluid?

mikebai1990
12-22-2006, 05:12 PM
What do you guys use for antifreeze washer fluid, in the summer and in the winter? I currently have the normal cheap blue antifreeze in my reservoir, but I don`t see any point in using it during the summer. I was thinking about just using regular plain water in the summer. This way, when cleaning the glass, there won`t be any chemicals left on the car paint. If the glass is maintained well, glass should do an okay job.

However, during the winter, I`m not sure what I should do. Obviously if I put regular water in there, the water is just going to freeze up. Should I continue to use my blue antifreeze?

tom p.
12-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Mike, do you have any issues with bugs where you drive during the warm months?

I have found the Prestone De-Icer (original formula) plus the prescribed amount of P1S`s excellent windshield washer booster to do a remarkable job both summer and winter.

OpticalSerenity
12-24-2006, 10:10 AM
I try to not use anything with color in light colored cars. I`ve seen them leave blue / green marks on the hood! Eek.

EOppie
12-26-2006, 01:52 PM
I use RainX DeIcer, which is pink on my 06 Black FEH. I have been looking for a replacement though, as it tends to leave little streak marks on the hood :-(

mikebai1990
12-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I`m mainly worried that by using these de-icers and antifreezes, the chemicals will harm my paint. Is this possible?

Guy
12-26-2006, 02:23 PM
I use something that is yellow, can`t remember off-hand what it is. It stays in year round because I don`t use enough to fill it more then once a year. I`ll check what it is and get back.

Guy
12-26-2006, 02:27 PM
After checking my stash I found out I`ve been using Super Tech, the Walmart brand. Also found some green Rain-x bug remover fluid. I`ve never had issues with the Super Tech, but then again I don`t spray very often.

foxtrapper
12-27-2006, 09:11 AM
I`ve become a fan of the rain-x stuff. It really does work well as a rain repeller, and helps keep bugs and such from sticking to the glass.

Never seen paint damage from it, but then I`ve never seen paint damage from any windshield squirter fluid.

TigerMike
12-27-2006, 10:35 AM
I`m using RainX de-icer washer fluid as well. Works wonders for me, and never noticed anything on the paint (although this could be due to the type of sprayer design you may have on your car, as mine sprays directly on the windshield from the wiper blades itself).

We had light frost on the windshield this am and one squirt of the RainX and it was gone. And, it leaves a coating of the water repellent on the glass. In faster driving, I really don`t need my wipers after using the RainX stuff. For $3, its a winner product for me as it solves my light frost/ice problems from parking outside and leaves the water repellent coating.

Regards,

Mike

jdthompson
12-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I use Einszett Kristallklar Premium and find it to be very good. It dilutes to stupid ratios, though I`m not sure it contains any sort of antifreeze.

Eliot Ness
12-27-2006, 01:05 PM
I just use the cheap blue stuff in the winter and add a 303 washer tab to boost it a bit:

303 Instant Windshield Washer Tablets (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/303inwiwata.html)

You can use them in just plain water (summer) but for winter use you`d need to add something to keep it from freezing. They (303) recommend IPA, but I`ve never had a problem with the cheap blue stuff taking off my LSP or with staining.