PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Black Paint

Tommy W.
12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
After listining to all the experts (many!) on this site I decided to machine polish my 02 Turbo (black).

bought a PC and the Sonus pad kit. Zaino z-pc was the choice for a polish.

Car has 5,000 mi on it but has some nice swirls .

Is the clearcoat on this car fairly heavy? Anything to worry about?

Thanks for any input!

I have a lot of experience on a rotary, just not on cars! So I figure I`ll be safe with a PC.

Merry Christmas. I hope Santa Brings everyone their favorite detailing products.

TW

imported_doctordon
12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Tommy: What year is the car? Sat outside? Lotsa P-cars (mine for one) don`t get more than a couple of thousand annually, or sit out. I`d venture that P-cars have always had ample paint. I have an 01 and 05 and they both appear to have a pretty heavy load of CC. Whereas my daily driver, a Ford Escape, escaped the St Louis plant with a misting of paint. No complaints: just reality ... and just enough to cover primer.

ji m

Statman
12-22-2006, 01:43 PM
You will have no problem with the PC and Zaino...it will look great!

imported_Dave KG
12-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Have done a couple of 911s with black paint in the past couple of months, and the paint thickness gauge shows that they had a good caot of paint, certainly up to the normal average for cars at around the 120 -150um mark. So by PC, you`ll be safe with the majority of polishes out there.

One thing that I have found with Porsche paint is that it is quite hard and for even quite light marring, by PC you need a medium abrasive polish... On the rotary, I was using Menzerna PO106FF Final Finish to remove light marring and light hologramming from these cars, but anything more sevre would have required a step up the abrasive levels to something like Menzerna PO85RD3.0x Intensive Polish or similar... When tackling hard paints by PC, work on small areas and ensure you thorough break the polish down - it will take much patience but the results are well worth it in the end. :)

Statman
12-22-2006, 03:51 PM
One thing that I have found with Porsche paint is that it is quite hard and for even quite light marring, by PC you need a medium abrasive polish...

Sorry, but I beg to differ. My Porsche (triple black) paint is quite soft! I have owned 3 black Porsche and all of them the paint is fairly soft.

Anthony O.
12-22-2006, 03:57 PM
I have no idea myself where the Porsche paint is hard thing comes from as I do a ton of Porsches and they all have soft paint and are very easy to correct.

Now I have noticed Cayennes having a bit harder clear but then again it could just "appear" to be like that.

As for the original posters question.....you`ll have to keep the PC buzzing all day long in order to thin your paint out to the point of, "Now ya did it!"

Anthony

imported_Dave KG
12-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Sorry, but I beg to differ. My Porsche (triple black) paint is quite soft! I have owned 3 black Porsche and all of them the paint is fairly soft.

And yet another brand of car that seems to differ on both sides of the Atlantic then... the Porsches I have done have been rock hard (in common with all German marques over here). Haven`t heard of any reports in the UK either of soft paint on Porkas...

Anthony O.
12-23-2006, 11:08 AM
It is rumored that Pcar paint is soft so as to resist paint chipping on the Autobahn. I have been told a softer paint "gives" more so that hard paint.

I have no idea why it would be different stateside, or from one coast to another.

Anthony

Tommy W.
12-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks for all the great input!

Car came out AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topped the z-5 Pro with Natty`s for dark cars.

Car looked beautiful without the Natty`s.

The Natty`s put it over the top.

I find myself sitting in traffic looking at other cars for their paint conditions.

It`s amazing how many cars that look like they`ve just been "detailed` have horrible swirls.

Last night my wife came home from X mas shopping and commented how this black Lambo at the restaurant was really cool but had "Really bad swirls!".

I guess I`ve been talking too much around the house about it.

Merry X mas

TW