PDA

View Full Version : Home audiophile advice

Pages : [1] 2

Autoeng
12-22-2006, 11:20 AM
I`d like some opinions about my options for an entry level A/V receiver. I`ll be pairing this with a Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system and a mis-match of various other equipment. I`m not an audiophile and am not expecting this to be a home theater masterpiece but just want it to sound its best.

I have a regular TV with S-cable input, DVD with optical and coax audio and S-cable and component video outs, VCR with RCA outs, Dish Network DVR with optical audio and S-cable video outs and Sirius Sat with RCA outs.

I don`t listen to the TV loud but I want it to be clear and robust. I like for video to be through the receiver so I don`t have to change channels or use a stand alone switch. I like to be able to adjust the sound qualities to what I like, not what someone else thinks they should be. I like an A/B switch so I can run some speakers out on the deck. It needs to be easy to switch between sources as other family members will be using it as well. I doubt I will ever add speakers 6 & 7.

I`ve narrowed it down to (in no particular order).

Pioneer VSX816

Onkyo TXSR504 - leaning towards this one

Sony STRDG600

Harmon Kardon AVR140

Yamaha HTR5850

I`m trying to stay under $250.

Any help / suggestions / alternatives / things to think about would be greatly

appreciated.

Thank you

BobD
12-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I have an Onkyo reviver, speakers, and DVD player and they seem to be the best bang for the buck to me.

swhtech
12-22-2006, 02:39 PM
I would also vote for Onkyo....I have a 5.1 Onkyo receiver that I bought about 8 or 9 years ago from Cambridge Soundworks that is paired with Cambridge speakers and it has been great, no problems what so ever with the receiver....good luck!

xtahoex
12-22-2006, 02:49 PM
I have that exact Yamaha and it has performed great. My father has one in the same line just a larger one that runs a unbelievable 6.1 surround system with klipsch speakers that shakes his house. I don`t know much about the rest but out of the brands I would go with onkyo, yamaha, and sony. good luck.

pair of Blazers
12-22-2006, 05:48 PM
my sugestion would be to see what the stores return poicy is and if there is a re-stocking fee first. all of your choices are very good but in the end its going to be how it sounds to your ears. that being said see if you can demo them in your home. at this price level that might be hard though.

I like to be able to adjust the sound qualities to what I like, not what someone else thinks they should be.

guess you`ve had some pushy sales people. the only other thing I can say is bring your own music w/you and have them hook up to speakers that are "close" to what you have.

good luck and let your ears be the judge.

Autoeng
12-22-2006, 06:22 PM
guess you`ve had some pushy sales people. the only other thing I can say is bring your own music w/you and have them hook up to speakers that are "close" to what you have.

good luck and let your ears be the judge.

Not what I meant but thanks for the advice. What I meant was some of the preprogrammed settings that the manufacturer installs like "cinema, concert hall, ect".

pair of Blazers
12-22-2006, 06:44 PM
yeah I`m not a fan of those "modes" either.

Autoeng
12-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys. Onkyo seems to get the most votes everywhere I`ve posted so that is the way I am going to go. Best price I have found is $217.

RTexasF
12-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Yet another vote for Onkyo. I have an older 5.1 unit that has been faultless. It has the same power rating as the one you are considering.....75 WPC. The clincher for me at the time was when Consumer Reports tested the unit I ended up buying. Although rated @ 75 watts it put out 88. They thought it a fluke and bought an identical unit to retest, also 88 watts.

This is my 3rd purchase of this brand, all worked flawlessly but the previous two were 2 channel stereo.

christyles
12-23-2006, 11:51 AM
For future when you do decide to get into the high end audio... visit my buddy`s forum - Audiophilia - The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile (http://www.audiophilia.com). That`s where it`s at. Lots of useful information and resources, and it`s addicting.

EdLancer
12-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Do a Google on anything with T-Amp !

Audiophile quality at poormans pricing

This palm size amp blew the high-ends away !

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bo06/david1.jpg

35TH LE
12-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Personally Im a fan of Harmon Kardon and Yamaha. I have a Yamaha right now and I love it.

TortoiseAWD
12-23-2006, 03:21 PM
I have a couple of entry-level Denon A/V receivers (I liked the first so much, I bought a second when I ran across a great deal on a refurb unit). The one thing the Denon offered that wasn`t available on other units in that price range is video up-conversion . . . All of the video inputs are routed to a single component output, so there`s only one connection from the receiver to your television. Composite and S-Video inputs are all switched via the receiver and routed to the component output. Very convenient, and it cuts down on the rat`s nest of wires a bit.

IMO, look for a unit that has up-conversion, and as many component and digital audio inputs as you can get (as well as looking for sound that`s meets the demands of your ears, of course).

My (non-audiophile) $0.02,

Tort

Mr. Clean
12-23-2006, 03:58 PM
I`m afraid I cant` offer any insight on the products being considered.

Offtopic:

EdLancer, kudos on the clean (dare I say minimalist :cool: ?) install. :xyxthumbs Would you care to go around the room so to speak identifying you equipment? If you don`t want to in this thread, you could open another thread.

Are those speaker stands weighted? Whose equipment stands are you using?

Spilchy
12-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Do a Google on anything with T-Amp !

T-Amp - Class T integrated amplifier - [English] (http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html)