PDA

View Full Version : Newb questions on exterior detail

Hardmix
12-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I have spent many hrs recently trying to deceifer this forum. You guys use alot of acronyms! Anyway, I have a silver LS430 and a black Yukon XL that I am looking to take care of. I will be purchasing a Porter Cable 7424 to reduce the workload. As far as chemicals I am considering Werkstatt, Optimum, and Zaino.

As I understand it, below is the correct procedure for a exterior detail. Please chime in if I have it wrong.

Wash polmolive to cut previous wax/sealant? I used nxt

Clay

wash again Do I use a polish here before going to next step?

Seal

optional wax

Thank you in advance for any feedback. By the way, you have a great forum here with solid posters.

Hardmix

twitch
12-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Welcome to Autopia.

You will find the meaning of most acronyms on the secret decoder ring page. (http://autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring)

Your process looks ok but you do not have to use dishwashing liquid. The clay and polish step will remove the NXT that you have on there.

You will more than likely want to polish before applying the sealant. This all depends on the condition of the paint. Even on a new car a light polish works well.

You can also save yourself some time by not rewashing after claying. There are a couple of different methods people use to clay. Search the site for more information on that.

Enjoy your stay and find a counselor because you will soon have an addiction (if you don`t already) :grinno:

trhland
12-22-2006, 12:14 PM
first wash then clay .and after that take a good look at the paint if its in good shape with just a few light swirls. you can get away with a polish and a medium foam cut pad. if its got heavery swirls then bump up to compound and a heavery cut pad .but after you compound then go to the medium pad with polish then go to a final finishing pad with polish as well to givr it that real nice shine . then after that wax like crazy if you want. good luck with the p/c make sure you go real slow .i recommend buying the p/c video form show car garage.com

Junebug
12-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Check out Autogeek.net, they have 2 short but informative videos on proper PC use. Also, Properautocare.com has some good how-to articles. Those and reading the forums will help. Don`t get too concerned with buying "the" product. There are many decent brands and they are all the best, ask their fans. I have not tried them all, last name isn`t Gates if you know what I mean. But, I`ve had good luck with XMT#3 for a polish, Meg`s #84 for a compound, and Duragloss 105 as a sealer. New car, I`d wash, clay, XMT#3 with a polishing pad, then do the 105 by hand.

Accumulator
12-22-2006, 01:31 PM
HardMix- Welcome to Autopia!

That black Yukon XL will be a job of work, so I`d use stuff that`s user-friendly (especially as you`re just getting started with this stuff).

Sealants like Zaino only look great on virtually flawless finishes, and IMO that`s not too reasonable an expectation on that Yukon. Waxes like Collinite last a long time, are user-friendly, and hide flaws that sealants don`t. Sealants get a lot of attention, but it`s not like waxes are obsolete ;) I use both and they both have their pros/cons.

IMO wash, clay, polish, wax will be more than enough of an introduction to this stuff, and I`d sure take care to pick a polish that`s mighty user-friendly.

1Z brand polish comes immediately to mind, it`s what I recommend to my not-detailing-fanatic friends and it`s what I use on my Blazer (along with the Collinite). It even contains wax so you don`t *have* to do the wax step until after the next wash if you`re tired after the wash/clay/polish, which is likely.

Oh, and the "1Z" isn`t really an acronym....the name of the company is "Ein Zett" which is German for "one Z" ;)