PDA

View Full Version : Enough Pads?

6speedZ
04-19-2005, 12:50 PM
I have the Sonus DAS Pad Kit and I was just about to place an order for some Propel Pads. Will I be good just adding a blue polish and grey finishing pad or should I also add a green cutting pad? I would think that with the products I use I wont need any more cutting pads than the ones that came with the Sonus Kit. Does this sound right? BTW the only products I really use are Menzerna IP & FPII, AIO, Zaino/P21S/Souveran. Thanks!

Eliot Ness
04-19-2005, 01:16 PM
The green Propel is more of a polish pad, so I would order one or two of those. With the Sonus kit that will give you two or three polish pads, and if you switch products, or need a clean pad you won`t have to stop in the middle of your detail to clean a pad. The blue pads are great for cleaners (AIO, etc) but don`t have the bite for polishing like the green pad does.

6speedZ
04-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Great. I just ordered the Blue and Grey pad before anyone replied. I figured I would use the Orange and Green pad for the IP and the Blue pad for the FPII. I also thought that I would use the Blue propel pad for AIO and the Grey pad for use with Zaino or the IP/FPII. Should I call and change out the Blue pad for a green? I don`t plan to use AIO for atleast a month and it is not for use on the car that I am doing.

CharlesW
04-19-2005, 02:39 PM
There`s differing opinions on what pads are best used with a PC.
It seems like I once read that Meguiar`s didn`t even recommend using a cutting pad with the PC. :dunno

Right now I have 5 polishing pads and 3 finishing pads, no cutting pad, and I have never felt the need for anything other than those.
The polishing pads are used for polishes:
Meg`s #83 DACP
Meg`s #82 Swirl Free Polish
Meg`s #80 Speed Glaze
Meg`s #9 Swirl Remover 2.0
Poorboy`s SSR2
Poorboy`s PwC
Klasse AIO
S100 SEC
And depending on the condition of the paint, I have used a polishing pad with Meg`s NXT Tech Wax
I do sometimes switch pads/products after I wash a pad

The finishing pads have been used with;
4 Star UPP
Meguiar`s NXT Tech Wax
Meguiar`s Medallion

My two truly dedicated pads are a polishing pad for Klasse AIO and a finishing pad for UPP. The combination of those two products being my favorite for my vehicles.

Having at least one spare of the pads you use can be very handy if you happen to get one dirty/contaminated while you are in the middle of a project.

Charles

6speedZ
04-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I talked to exceldetail and I am switching out the grey pad for the green pad. I now will have the Sonus orange, green, and blue pad as well as the Propel green and blue pad. Hopefully that will be enough to get started.

CharlesW
04-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Just a suggestion.
When talking about the pads, could you refer to them by their intended use rather than by color?
As you have probably noticed, different manufacturers use different colors for different pads. My Meguiar`s polishing pads are yellow, my Meguiar`s finishing pads are tan. The Meguiar`s cutting pad, which I don`t use, is maroon.
Many of us will have no idea what a green, blue, orange, grey, yellow, tan, maroon pad is to be used for, but most of us will understand cutting, polishing, finishing.:)

Charles

JaredPointer
04-19-2005, 04:04 PM
:yeah That`s a very good point.

mr2man
04-19-2005, 04:33 PM
I can throw in my 2 pennies...
for the Lake Country Variable Contact pads I use for all of my jobs the colors are:
yellow:heavy cut
orange:light cut
Green:polish
white:light polish
black:finish
blue: no bite...basically for wax application
and the Meguiars I know but I think Charles W. mentioned them already.

CharlesW
04-19-2005, 04:51 PM
I can throw in my 2 pennies...
for the Lake Country Variable Contact pads I use for all of my jobs the colors are:
yellow:heavy cut
orange:light cut
Green:polish
white:light polish
black:finish
blue: no bite...basically for wax application
and the Meguiars I know but I think Charles W. mentioned them already.Interesting information, but.....
What I was trying to convey was to use the terms cutting, polishing, finishing when talking about a pad. Heavy cut and light cut might be terms that some manufacturers use, but that would be much better for me. Forget about the color, just state what it is used for.
Here again, it appears that the LCVC pads use even different colors.

Charles

6speedZ
04-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Just a suggestion.
When talking about the pads, could you refer to them by their intended use rather than by color?

I will try! Just a thought, but least someone went to the trouble of making an acronym list of all the codes used around here, wouldn`t it be nice if there was list of the different pads and their functions. For example listing the Sonus pads color and funtions as well as Propel, Megs, and Lakewood. Maybe even list what pads might work for a specific apllication. Actually I have no idea how helpful it would be, but maybe if some of this stuff was archived somewhere it might save some one time. Just a thought. :dunno

CharlesW
04-19-2005, 06:13 PM
I will try! Just a thought, but least someone went to the trouble of making an acronym list of all the codes used around here, wouldn`t it be nice if there was list of the different pads and their functions. For example listing the Sonus pads color and funtions as well as Propel, Megs, and Lakewood. Maybe even list what pads might work for a specific apllication. Actually I have no idea how helpful it would be, but maybe if some of this stuff was archived somewhere it might save some one time. Just a thought. :dunnoPossibly it would be of some value, but it seems a lot easier to just use a cutting pad for cutting, a polishing pad for polishing and a finishing pad for the last step product.
A little over simplified on my part, but I hope you can see what I`m trying to say. :)

Charles