PDA

View Full Version : How can I get bug out of my radatior fins?

imported_Devilsown
12-21-2006, 08:20 PM
I live in the swamps of Louisinana well the whole state is a swamp thats adise from the point, I still have bugs lodged in the cooling fins of my radatior and my top mounted intercooler from the summer now being winter I was hoping to get some out. it may not look like it but its a big radatior and the ac condeser? is in front of it and it makes it really hard to clean it...

How can I get them out with out damaging the cooling fins? As you can see there is alot of bugs here, its alot cleaner now but you get the idea, its gets really bad in the sping...

anywho you get the idea

BlueLibby04
12-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Here is what I did:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/jeepjeepster/IMG_3-8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/jeepjeepster/IMG_1-19.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/jeepjeepster/IMG_2-13.jpg

I bought some screen door material at walmart and cut it to fit. Seems to work out great.. :2thumbs:

This may not work out with every grill as good as it did with mine. The black part is just an insert that comes out. I took it out from behind and then sandwiched the material between it and the grill.

imported_Devilsown
12-21-2006, 08:54 PM
cool I like that... killer idea too... i think my grill is a PITA to get off... I`ll to give it a look...

BlueLibby04
12-21-2006, 09:02 PM
cool I like that... killer idea too... i think my grill is a PITA to get off... I`ll to give it a look...

Yea.. I got lucky. Mine only has 4 torx screws on-top then just hinges out at the bottom. :chuckle:

Setec Astronomy
12-21-2006, 09:23 PM
You can get a fin-straightening tool at an auto parts store. That`s about the only safe way I know of to get the bugs out, which may not work that well anyway. I`m guessing other people will say pressure washer. The screen is a great idea.

klnyc
12-21-2006, 10:25 PM
wow thats great ideal.. Got try that on my07 Subie OB.

bad venge
12-30-2006, 09:33 PM
I picked up a fin straightener at Harbor Freight ... Cleans them out pretty well ...

BlueBoxer1
12-30-2006, 09:52 PM
compressed air

imported_Puckman
12-30-2006, 10:01 PM
I took a brush attachment from an older small shop vac and cut off about an inch of the bristles leaving about a half to 3/4 inches of "brush". I put that on my Metro vac and Blo and suck em off! Doesn`t get every single one but gets most of them off. Doesn`t bend any fins either.

skitelluride531
12-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Tweezers? That is what I used on my MINI...

mikebai1990
12-30-2006, 11:15 PM
That`s a lot of bugs :) Are the bugs stuck there? Do you think a vacuum be strong enough to suck it out?

imported_Puckman
12-30-2006, 11:47 PM
That`s a lot of bugs :) Are the bugs stuck there? Do you think a vacuum be strong enough to suck it out?

In my experience the brush is what works them loose and the vacuum sucks them up once they`re loose. Again, because I gave my brush attachment a haircut the bristles are stronger as they`re shorter. Again, this works good for me but YMMV.

David Fermani
12-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Compressed air with a soft tooth brush before getting it wet. Once wet, the bugs are too soft and mushy to brush out.