PDA

View Full Version : MF turned water blue!

Pages : [1] 2

danforz
12-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Hey guys, I purchased a kit which came with a MF towel. I was washing it, prior to its first use, and to my shock when I rang out the water into my sink it was all BLUE! This MF, which is also blue, was leaking color...

I rang it out for a while till no more noticeable blue dye was leaking out of the towel, and then stored it.

Should I not use this towel on my car? I`m going to email the site that sold it to me as well and ask them.

Thanks guys :)

fdizzle
12-20-2006, 02:15 AM
dont worry. let me tell you a story.

i washed 12 cobra indago (dark purple) MF`s with 4 white large MF WW drying towels.

guess what color my new drying towels are.

yeah. on new MF that is colored, i usually wash three or four times to get any dyes or chemicals out.

expect a small ammounf of bleeding over the next 10 to 20 washes.

also . . . what are you using to clean yoru MF with, just out of curiousity . . .

danforz
12-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Meguiar`s gold car wash... sometimes I`ll use detergent

fdizzle
12-20-2006, 02:39 AM
hmmm . . . this is gonna sound strange . .. but try your next MF wash in the machine with simple green. use about one cup, and select a second rinse option of you have one. You would be surprised how well it works. the car wash will not break down the siicones, polishing agents, grease and wax residue - after all - its a car wash for paint that is designed not to jeapordize the LSP on your paint . .

danforz
12-20-2006, 02:55 AM
hmmm . . . this is gonna sound strange . .. but try your next MF wash in the machine with simple green. use about one cup, and select a second rinse option of you have one. You would be surprised how well it works. the car wash will not break down the siicones, polishing agents, grease and wax residue - after all - its a car wash for paint that is designed not to jeapordize the LSP on your paint . .

Thanks for the heads up, I`ve noticed people recommending using simple green. What do you think of basic detergent?

krouchchocolate
12-20-2006, 03:17 AM
Where can u buy simple green at?

firegate
12-20-2006, 04:14 AM

Any department store, drug store, or supermarket pretty much.

trhland
12-20-2006, 06:47 AM
i just bought the microfiber rejuvinater detegent from auto geek. im wondering if its the same stuff as a degreeser?

Eliot Ness
12-20-2006, 09:27 AM
i just bought the microfiber rejuvinater detegent from auto geek. im wondering if its the same stuff as a degreeser?Not quite, but they (MF detergents) do work pretty good.

I have also used an APC in my wash for very dirty MF`s and it took out all of the stains. Just to be safe I ran them through a double rinse and then washed again with just Micro-Restore with vinegar added in the final rinse. From what fdizzle discovered, APC (SG in his case), doesn`t require that second wash. I might still follow-up with a Micro-Restore wash just to make myself feel better.... but it doesn`t sound like that is needed.

BMW335i
12-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Happened with my towels...I washed light blue with light yellow and white...I THOUGHT it would be fine because they are all light colors, but the white towels turned light blue...etc..Not that its a big deal but the dye on the MF`s are very runny the first couple of washes through.

3Dog
12-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Whenever we get a new shipment of towels in we wash before using. Since there may be a variety of colors we throw in one of those "color catcher" sheets....may be called dye catcher.

Eliot Ness
12-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Whenever we get a new shipment of towels in we wash before using. Since there may be a variety of colors we throw in one of those "color catcher" sheets....may be called dye catcher.Interesting..... I`ve not heard of those (or more than likely just can`t remember), so here is a link for anyone else who was clueless like me:

Amazon.com: Shout Color Catcher, 24 ct: Kitchen & Housewares (http://www.amazon.com/Shout-Color-Catcher-24-ct/dp/B0006M1IN0)

fdizzle
12-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I`ve noticed people recommending using simple green. What do you think of basic detergent?

using regular detergaent, you need to make sure its perfume, dye and scent free - and once that is taken into account, it will work, but IMO - not as well as MIRCORESTORE or SIMPLE GREEN - these products, in addition to cleaning, usually rinse out eaiser, and do a better job at breaking down hard substances like polish residue, wax, sealant residue, grease, hard, solidified dirt and other substances that regular detergeant cannot handle as well.

your joking right . . . . :doh hahah. j/k :lol

i think even 7-11 sells it . . .

most cost effective way to purchase it IMO is at orchard supply hardware or home depot in a 2.5 gallon container for 20 bucks . . . unless you have coupons or its on sale . .

danforz
12-20-2006, 04:14 PM
My detergent has is scented... My MFs don`t have the smell, however my sheepskin mitt does. I`ve since re-washed my sheepskin with car was cleaner. Is this scented detergent going to be a real issue?

paul34
12-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Yea, you should try to get scent and dye free detergent if possible. The "scent" will leave chemicals behind in your MF which will affect its absorbency (possibly) and its performance on things like glass.

Although I haven`t experienced color bleeding with my quality towels, my Vroom (Target) towels bleed orange EVERY time I wash them (I was them with either some dishwashing liquid or some arm and hammer perfume/dye free hypoallergenic liquid detergent). When I dump the water, it has an unmistakable orange hue. Anyway, yea, the Vroom towels are probably some of the worst MF towels I have... which is why they get the grunge work :)