PDA

View Full Version : I`m worn out. Is it ok to wax at a later time?

Pages : [1] 2

redlinegts85
12-19-2006, 10:27 PM
I detailed the entire interior, and washed, clayed, and polished the exterior. I used megs #9 cleaner/polish.

If I were to stop right now, will I be able to wash it in a few days and then wax it? If I wax it tonight I will probably pass out because I`m so tired.

So if I just stop at polishing, can I drive my car for a couple days, then wash in and wax it? Or will that just ruin everything I just did tonight?

I basically want to know if the car will turn out the same way if I wax it in a couple days (after washing it before a wax), as opposed to waxing it tonight after all the stuff I already did to it?

Joshua312
12-19-2006, 10:29 PM
You`ll be okay...This teaches you to order some Duragloss Aquawax or get it locally if available so at times like these you can quick give your car some protection in 5-10 minutes! Now go get some sleep :)

Cleaning Fool
12-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Dont forget 2 Aleeve

imported_Devilsown
12-19-2006, 11:21 PM
never leave my paint naked... i like to keep it protected

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Ur kewl, dude. Wax it when you recover.

redlinegts85
12-19-2006, 11:52 PM
So when I wax it another day, will the wash before the wax take off the polish? That`s what I`m worried about. By the way, that megs no. 9 is amazing. Thanks for the recommendation setec.

Setec Astronomy
12-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Well, the polish should be buffed off already...although there are some fillers/oils in the swirls which will likely get washed off...you should be ok, just wash and wax.

fdizzle
12-20-2006, 02:30 AM
I detailed the entire interior, and washed, clayed, and polished the exterior. I used megs #9 cleaner/polish.

If I were to stop right now, will I be able to wash it in a few days and then wax it? If I wax it tonight I will probably pass out because I`m so tired.

So if I just stop at polishing, can I drive my car for a couple days, then wash in and wax it? Or will that just ruin everything I just did tonight?

I basically want to know if the car will turn out the same way if I wax it in a couple days (after washing it before a wax), as opposed to waxing it tonight after all the stuff I already did to it?

jeze . . . rookie . . .:har:

OMG - Im totally kidding dude. i just couldent help myself........ SETEC sumemd it up nice. you won`t remove polish . . . you did that when you buffed the polishing residue off. washing it again later will also allow you to get any excess powder/dust residue out of cracks, and make your surface LSP ready . . . throw a nice coat of wax on that bad boy and your just as good as the day you frist detailed. as long as you are careful when you rewash you should not get any new swirils . . .

again . . . dont burn yourself out dude . . i did that intially. working at a slower pace, taking a moment to enjoy a bottle of water (or if its your own car a beer . . friends dont lewt friends detail drunk :werd: ) will allow you to accomplish better results, and you wont be in as much pain. Unless your doing this for a living and your a superhuman like scottwax and justin that can do 4 cars (or god knows how many more) solo per day. i think they are taking somthing . . . and i want it . . .:secret (actually those guys, like a lot of others here, just have their system down so well they can do in 2 what takes me 6 hours . .

good luck . .. post some pics when your all done . . .

:buffing: wax on . . .

Accumulator
12-20-2006, 12:00 PM
I dunno...Meg`s #9 is awfully rich in their trade secret oils and other stuff that some of us might term "fillers". Washing it *will* remove that stuff, which would otherwise be sealed in by your LSP. How much gets removed and how much it`ll matter to you I can`t say, but IMO it won`t turn out as well as if you waxed it right after polishing or even redid the polishing after the wash.

Since it`s such a big deal to do all of this stuff in one go, I often recommend 1Z brand polishes as they leave enough wax behind to get you by until after the next wash.

redlinegts85
12-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Alright, well I had to drive the car around this morning to go to the dentist and stuff, and I came back home getting ready to wax my car, but I noticed that there is dust already on the car. I`m trying to get around washing it, so would it be OK to take a microfiber towel and just lightly dust off car and then wax it? I`m just afraid that I will cause spiderweb scratches.

imported_Devilsown
12-20-2006, 01:43 PM
NO! WASH IT! for the love of car paint wash it the risk is way to high!

redlinegts85
12-20-2006, 02:00 PM
NO! WASH IT! for the love of car paint wash it the risk is way to high!

LOL, alright. You know what, I`m just going to do everything over again next week. This time I`m going to start early in the morning so I`m not up all night.

Would it be better to do everything over again next week (wash, polish, then wax) or should I just wash and wax next week. I know I don`t need to clay it again; it`s really smooth.

coupe
12-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Next time do the interior 1 day then the next day do the exterior. Dont try and do everything in 1 day, break it up.

Accumulator
12-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Would it be better to do everything over again next week (wash, polish, then wax) or should I just wash and wax next week. I know I don`t need to clay it again; it`s really smooth.

You`ll know after you wash it. I`d plan on doing both the polishing and the waxing, but see if you can get away with just waxing it. Maybe you`ll only have to polish certain portions that really catch the eyem, maybe you won`t have to polish at all. Wait and see, I`d just prepare myself mentally for doing the whole job.

Note that the polishing oughta go easier this time anyhow, might not be a big deal at all. No point in cutting a big corner at this point ;)

fdizzle
12-21-2006, 07:05 PM
I dunno...Meg`s #9 is awfully rich in their trade secret oils and other stuff that some of us might term "fillers". Washing it *will* remove that stuff, which would otherwise be sealed in by your LSP. How much gets removed and how much it`ll matter to you I can`t say, but IMO it won`t turn out as well as if you waxed it right after polishing or even redid the polishing after the wash.

Since it`s such a big deal to do all of this stuff in one go, I often recommend 1Z brand polishes as they leave enough wax behind to get you by until after the next wash.

sorry Accumulator, i forgot about glazes . . . :idea

if you polished with anything that had fillers in it washing you vehicle again will possibly remove some of those fillers. . . . you probably got that already but i just felt the need to correct myself in an effort not to look like an idoit . . .