PDA

View Full Version : topcoat streaking? cold weather?

LS2 Powered
12-19-2006, 05:22 PM
hey all,

First of all, as I`m sure none of you recognize my UN, I am in fact a newb to the board....;)

I`ve been detailing for about 2 years now, however this is the first year that I`m still doing it regularly in the colder weather (I live in NY). I`m no professional or anything, just an enthusiast with the right equipment who likes to make a couple bucks on the side.

Lately I`ve been noticing (on multiple cars that i`ve done) that whatever I apply to the car after polishing (with a PC and usually a green Sonus polishing pad w/ 3M Perfect-It II SMR) comes off oily and streaky after the usual amount of buffing.

The paint will look absolutely PERFECT in the shade, but direct, sharp-angle sunlight reveals what look like holograms. Now I know they`re not actually in the clearcoat itself, because simply wiping a clean MF over them changes the direction of the streak, yet it seems no amount of buffing will get the finish TOTALLY even now.:nixweiss

I`ve had these results w/ Meguiar`s Gold Class, Turtle Wax Platinum Series and 3M IHG.

Is it the cold weather that`s doing this? today was about 45-48 degrees and I couldn`t get the paint TOTALLY 100% the way I want it. I was able to clean it up a lot to where it wasn`t obvious, but still not perfect. The owner was ELATED about the way the car came out, but i wasn`t totally happy with it myself...

Can this be gotten around or do I have to wait until the weather gets back up above 55 or so? I tried cleaning up the streaks w/ some Meguiar`s quick detailer, which helped, but didn`t solve the problem.

I`ve been told that misting on some plain or distilled water panel by panel and then redrying will usually fix it, but i`ve yet to try it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

LS2 Powered
12-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Nobody`s ever come across this problem?

slippy
12-20-2006, 06:12 AM
The cold weather will be a factor, you might need to extend the drying time of your LSP before you buff it off.Any product with quite a lot of oils will have this effect in cold/humid conditions.

You are right about misting water, and then buffing dry,this usually works with a lot of streaking problems.

Try the extended drying time if you can, and keep a sprayer with water handy.

LS2 Powered
12-20-2006, 02:15 PM
The cold weather will be a factor, you might need to extend the drying time of your LSP before you buff it off.Any product with quite a lot of oils will have this effect in cold/humid conditions.

You are right about misting water, and then buffing dry,this usually works with a lot of streaking problems.

Try the extended drying time if you can, and keep a sprayer with water handy.

thank you very much. :xyxthumbs