PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Paint Protection?

jdpro
12-19-2006, 01:01 AM
What is the paint protector applied at the dealer? It`s some kind of wax or sealant that is to be reapplied every 6 months -- does anyone know what it is and what process is used to apply it to a new car?

I have a new 2007 Honda odyssey in white. The finish feels kinda rough, like it needs a good claying which I would like to do soon but am interested in knowing what this other stuff is. Does claying remove wax or sealants?

Noob

Scottwax
12-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Please don`t tell me you fell for the dealer protection scam.

Read through the forums, download the detailing e-book, that`ll answer most of your questions.

Personally, I`d clay the van (which will remove wax), then use a quality wax or sealant.

DSVWGLI
12-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Welcome jdpro, dealers usually use a cheap polymer sealant, god only knows what they apply it with, it`s probably a dirty rag one day then their hand the next. Don`t worry about that because it probably all came off after the first couple of washes. Yes it sounds like you should clay your car because the dealership wouldn`t have even if they knew what clay was. You may need to polish the paint as well then seal it with either a wax or a sealant.

jdpro
12-19-2006, 01:20 AM
The sealant is applied before the sale is made, then they try to get you to buy the 3-year plan. I found out that it was a rip-off from Edmunds.com before making the purchase. :)

I did try a search but maybe used the wrong criteria. I`ll try some more searching. What chapter of the detailing book has the info about dealer paint protection?

jdpro
12-19-2006, 01:23 AM
seal it with either a wax or a sealant.

:) I read in one of the detailing book chapters that this can be a hot button, but under what conditions would one be more desirable over the other? I live in Phoenix where it gets very hot in the summer, and it would seem that wax might get gummy on the surface of my car, attracting junk to it and holding it there. Would a sealant work better for me?

Scottwax
12-19-2006, 01:54 AM
On white paint, it probably isn`t going to matter all that much if you use a wax or a sealant. I have a black car here in Texas and while it isn`t as hot as Phoenix, we do regulary exceed 100 degrees and I`ve never had a problem with carnaubas becoming gummy, nor did I have a problem when I did live in Arizona and used Rain Dance on my Chevelle back in the 80s.

If you`d prefer a sealant, a very easy system to use is Jeff Werkstatt`s Prime and Acrylic Jett. JEFFS Werkstatt: the finest in automotive detailing wax and sealants (http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com)

LastDetail
12-19-2006, 03:51 AM
true story, this just happened a couple weeks ago.

My fiance and I went to go buy her a new car. I did all of my research with Edmunds and the "Book" of buying a new car and all that. We negotiated a fair price based on the other offers I had with me and got the handshake in about 45 minutes of haggling. The salesman then hands us off to the person who really does the screwing. They called this lady the document technician. I figured that she was simply the person who drew up the documents and made sure that everything was signed.

Man oh MAN was I wrong. I am originally from New York and I have never abandoned the attitude. This lady was the one in charge of trying to screw us over and recoup the money lost on the deal. She was the one who arranged the warranties and "extras". First she tries to make us beleive that this particular car needs new tires every 10,000 miles and that they cost $1,500 a set, and that for just $3,000 extra we could purchase a tire program from them. I just asked her where the hell she had gotten such terrible information. I couldn`t beleive that people actually fell for that one. She tried to sell us on an extended warranty, VETO again. I wasn`t playing into her at all, just saying no and then explaining why I thought her ideas were complete bogus. She was trying to argue but I had a small thing called "the truth" on my side.

Finally she comes to the sealant. She went into a HUGE rap about how dangerous the atmosphere is and paint is porous, and blah blah blah. I immediately saw where she was going and just sat back and smiled. Finally she broke off and said, "What is so funny?" I responded "Your talking about a sealant right?" She said yes. I asked how much it was.

$970.00. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS!

I couldn`t help it, I laughed right out loud.

I told her what I do for a living and thanked her for her concern about my fiances paint but assured her that I had everything well in hand as far as paint protection.

When we were leaving my fiance and I couldn`t help laughing about it for the whole ride.

^&04types
12-19-2006, 08:11 AM
it is def. a scam. the dealer tried to sell me some SIMONIZ paint sealant ****. i told them to shove it. It was somwhere around $500.

MMasz
12-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Extended warranties + other garbage are big profit centers for dealers.

When I bought our Sienna, the dealer tried selling me Toyota`s "Platinum Warranty" for about $1700.00. You can go onlinie and buy the same manufacturer warranty for about $850.00.

I didn`t get anyway as I`ve always had excellent reliability with my Toyota/Lexus vehicles.

The tire program cracks me up.

White95Max
12-19-2006, 10:12 AM
I can`t wait to buy my first brand new car, just so I can laugh at all the stupid BS that the salespeople try to tell me.

And I want to see their reaction when I demand my car be wrapped in the original plastic when I take delivery.

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Kudos to you, jdpro, for not paying for the dealer protection. Last Detail, funny stories, and why I HATE buying cars.

jdpro
12-19-2006, 01:28 PM
It`s true... buying a car is a nightmare. Even trying to do most of the work up front online, we still spent an entire day in the dealership. And yes, the finance people have all the BS they try to sell you after you`re done dealing with the salesman. The finance people are really just more salespeople. After saying `no` to the first guy, he TO`d it to ANOTHER finance guy to try to close it. Ridiculous. They may as well just tell us, please give us another big pile of money for this little piddly thing...

imported_Big Jon
12-19-2006, 09:36 PM
My last new car purchae went very well. This was a cash deal & the price was determined on the phone before the 2 hour drive to the dealer. The salesman actually knew the product he was selling & gave me a heads up on what the closer shark would try & pull. Glass etching in this case, I live in ND half of us don`t even pull our keys or lock the doors. The salesman left & started his own business, too ethical I guess.