PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my father-in-laws `95 Corvette.....product recommendations?

ntwrkguy1
12-18-2006, 10:54 PM
I`m getting ready to detail my father-in-law`s latest purchase: a one-owner, 1995 Corvette with 49k miles. It`s white, with red leather interior. According to my FIL, the paint is `dirty`(car is in FL, and I`m in NC, but will see it in a week).

I`ll be using my PC7424, and will have a cutting pad as well as a polishing pad. I intend to clay the car, but was wondering about first-step products Amazingly enough, this is only the second Corvette I have detailed in the last 10 years!

My choices include:

PBSSR2.5

DACP

Meguiar`s Professional Paint Cleanser

AIO

Clearkote Moose Compound

That`s pretty much what I have to work with for my first step (I don`t think my wife could take another purchase!)......and yes, I realize it`s tough to make the call without seeing the paint.

Does anyone have any advice on tackling an 11-year old, original paint `Vette? And yes, I will definitely post before/after pics!!!

David Fermani
12-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Are you detailing it in Florida? If so, where?

ntwrkguy1
12-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Yes, in FL......in Clearwater.

DSVWGLI
12-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Well let me start by saying you have your work cut out for you. I`ve detailed a hand full of Vette`s with a "PC" and it`s no fun. I used SSR 3 with a cutting pad and that took forerever and I still couldn`t get it perfect after 12 hrs. I hate to say it but SSR2.5 will do very little with swirling on a Vette, sorry. You really need a heavy duty compound.

imported_themightytimmah
12-19-2006, 12:40 AM
DACP and your heaviest cut pad followed by SSR2.5 and a polishing pad. You are *not* going to get it perfect without a rotary and a heavy leveler, so look to the glaze -> carnuba route for a LSP.

ntwrkguy1
12-19-2006, 06:12 PM
What`s up with the Corvette paint? Is it the fiberglass that makes it tough? Or did GM throw an extra coat -- or ten -- of clear on it?

I`ve actually got a rotary, but am not sure I`ve got room in my already-overloaded-Suburban when we make the drive down.

Envious Eric
12-19-2006, 06:34 PM
rotary

pc

cutting pads

cutting compound

lots of pressure

heavy duty glaze with fillers

good covering carnauba that lasts long...p21s comes to mind from what others have said about it

Changeling
12-19-2006, 07:08 PM
I am only going to say this once.

Do this project "With" your father in law`s approval and get him involved with "EVERY" aspect of the detail!!

If you don`t, you will be sorry!

Changeling

ntwrkguy1
12-19-2006, 10:58 PM
I am only going to say this once.

Do this project "With" your father in law`s approval and get him involved with "EVERY" aspect of the detail!!

If you don`t, you will be sorry!

Changeling

Why is that?

I`ve got his approval, since he leaves the detailing of his other vehicles to me when I`m in FL.

Hopefully Vanilla Moose Glaze has lots of fillers....otherwise I might be scrambling for something new. I`m also bringing my Meguiar`s #16 with me as an LSP.

Changeling
12-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Why is that?

I`ve got his approval, since he leaves the detailing of his other vehicles to me when I`m in FL.

Hopefully Vanilla Moose Glaze has lots of fillers....otherwise I might be scrambling for something new. I`m also bringing my Meguiar`s #16 with me as an LSP.

Why is that?

Anytime you are dealing with family or friends it pays to "Really" be careful. I would just suggest that before you do something that you say , hey dad, this is what I`m going to use for this or that reason and get his response and approval, wether he knows what the hell you are talking about or not.

You are just going to have to trust me on this, maybe someone else can remark.

Changeling

David Fermani
12-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Why is that?

Anytime you are dealing with family or friends it pays to "Really" be careful. I would just suggest that before you do something that you say , hey dad, this is what I`m going to use for this or that reason and get his response and approval, wether he knows what the hell you are talking about or not.

You are just going to have to trust me on this, maybe someone else can remark.

Changeling

You won`t have anything to worry or be careful about if you do a good job. Doing work for family is totally on a different level than doing work for friends. Friends usually expect everything for nothng. Detailing isn`t about being careful, it`s more about telling someone what your planning on doing and exceeding their expectations.