PDA

View Full Version : Help guys! newbb

illmike
12-18-2006, 10:48 PM
I just bought a new `07 Lexus in Black...and i wanna be very anal about keeping her looking new...i know black paint jobs are very hard to keep new looking but I`m willing to make the effort..I got the car about 3 weeks ago, so a month is coming up. I`ve been washing it every week...and dusting it with `California duster` every morning while the car warms up...i know most of you all are Pros on here so i would like your advice on what i should do...like Time frame wise...

1. Once a Week...Wash

2. Every Month...Clay it, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, P21s wax?

Would it be safe to use the AIO every month? Is it to early to use the Klasse & P21s?

Or...

1. Once a Week...Wash

2. Every Month...Clay it, Meguairs NXT Wax

Or...

1. Once a Week...wash

2. Every Month...Clay it, then P21S??

You guys get the idea....

I`m sponsored by Meguairs so i got allot of there NXT products on hand...

So I`m thinking i should start using those instead of the Klasse stuff...

I just want my car to always look brand new...so whats the best steps I should take week/monthly???

imported_NHBFAN
12-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Welcome illMike and Congrats on the new Lexus.

Since you purchased black I think minimizing swirls will become a priority. Search this forum and read as much as you can about washing techniques and consider purchasing a Porter Cable (PC) polisher.

I think monthly claying won`t be necessary on a new car.

As far as which products to use, I`d also do a search on "black" and see what works for other members?

BTW, what do you mean you`re sponsored by Meguairs?

joshtpa
12-19-2006, 12:05 PM
NXT does very well with Black. You can even top it off with some #26 to increase durability. I dont use a polisher. Most recommend it, but I am a weekend warrior and like the idea of doing it by hand.

Less
12-19-2006, 01:34 PM
I agree that NXT works well on black. My understanding is that its sort of hybrid LSP. Since its not carnauba it has alot of synthetic polymers in it that are similar to what you will find in most sealant/glazes. It will fill minor scratches and is EXTREMELY easy to work with. It looks great on black but it doesn`t last all that long. Monthly application is a must, but luckily its so easy to do. With a good spray wax after each wash you`ll probably get away with two months.

I`ve never used it but it is my understanding that P21S "dries clear" so it looks better on lighter colored cars. I`m not sure what that means, but I`ve read it alot on these forums. I think it means that it won`t give your car the warmth and depth that you would want on dark colors. It does however make whites and silvers extra bright.

I`ve been using NXT on my car so far but I asked Santa Clause for some Souveran. I`ll be posting pics on 12/26 for sure!

Monthly claying won`t be necessary. I plan on claying my car twice a year. Probably right before and right after winter.

You will definitely need a machine polisher since it is practically impossible to avoid marring and swirling on black paint. It just shows up too easily. With that said, I would stay away from the california duster. Do a search, they are pretty unpopular around here and I have had horrible experience with them. Get a good MF towel and a good QD (Mother`s Showtime is probably the best OTC).

The NXT is probably good as a single step LSP. I`ve heard people say that it has some cleaners in it so frequent use might wear away any sealant that you use. Megs #7 and Megs #26 might be a better combo for you.

Less
12-19-2006, 04:37 PM
PS. I would also like to know what you mean when you say you are sponsored by Meguiars?