PDA

View Full Version : Interesting test beds (pics)

a.k.a. Patrick
12-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Although nothing in the way of scientific evaluation, I thought I would post as "an enthusiasts observation".....

3 identical truck hoods, after a recent rain shower:

About 11 weeks of NXT, on a dirty surface.....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/PC110058.jpg

Next up is a pic of a totally neglected hood (Protection wise), same rainstorm, parked next to above pic.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/PC110060.jpg

Last pic, which I find interesting is a pic of another hood, again parked next to the above pics, with the right 1/2 polished with Optimum Polish, 3 weeks prior to the rain. Left 1/2 last wax was probably 1 year ago..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/PC110056.jpg

My observation?

Pic 1, nice beading, not very tight, zero slickness, even after about two weeks, but is it protected?

Pic 2, just downright ugly, and an owner should be schooled on proper car care.....

Pic 3, It just brings to light, does beading represent protection? As noted in the last pic, the only protection evident here are from the oils present in Optimum Polish. At what level is "protection" established?

imported_paradigm
12-18-2006, 06:39 PM
excellent post...great pics for comparison. i think this shows that a polished surface is by itself providing some protection due to the surface tension and such. the smoother surface doesn`t allow water to pool the same. add on that an LSP and we get to the NXT pic...and then beyond that would be a more durable product.

very interesting!

RCBuddha
12-19-2006, 01:43 AM
At what level is "protection" established?

I`d like to know too....hmmmm....

Envious Eric
12-19-2006, 02:40 AM
thank you!!!! beading doesnt tell you protection....it tells you "hey dummy, polish me up and make me shine again!!!" lol

SVR
12-19-2006, 05:41 AM
Water always beads and type of beads depend on the type of rinsing method - straight hose, trigger nozzle or high pressure gun.

Protection for me goes by slickness, look and how much junk sticks to the paint.

If the slickness is gone or I suddenly lose alot of it regardless of how much QD I use to bring it back, if the paint starts to dull a little or seems to be easily coated in grime and rain water is etching the paint then obviously it`s time to re apply.

98% of the time nothing bar dust sticks to mypaint. I`ve never gotten any tar and even fallout is not a problem anymore. Sap rinses off too.

A sealant or wax will make the paint slicker than even claying and machine buffing does so when that goes away faster than normal or at all, then that coating is history.

of course this is all from my experience and yours may vary, especially with USA winters

South aussie winters are a picnic compared to northern hemisphere`s

Dan
12-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Your observation highlights the fact that with non wax based LSPs it is very hard to tell if there is still protection left. The fact that the NXT looks just like the polished side doesn`t say that the NXT is done for, not in my book. Since you have the test bed, leave the NXT on for 6 months, then polish the other side and compare the two surfaces.

I know many around here don`t care for many of Meguiar`s LSP other than #16, many because of the lack of beading. Meguiars says that beading is not an indicator of LSP life. For their synthetic/polymer enhanced products, I believe them. Its not like they forgot how to make a good product.