PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE help me out! I want to have everything for next week!!!

redlinegts85
12-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey guys, I own a 2000 celica gt-s 6 speed. It`s carbon blue in color (very dark blue, looks black at night), and I want to detail it the right way. In the past I`ve used OTC products, and I found from experience and from others, that these products are very cheap and a waste of money.

Well, I`m ready to buy some professional detailing products. I want to start detailing next weekend if possible, so I was looking on some input on what products I should buy (and where) to give me the best detail so I can order them tonight and have them by next week possibly.

First of all, are these the correct steps to detailing (exterior)?

1. Wash and dry

2. Clay bar

3. Wash again

4. Polish

5. Wax

Will it be worth it to purchase a car wash soap and a clay bar online, or should I use the ones I`m currently using (meguires and mothers)?

What products could you recommend to me for the polish and wax? I want to get my car to the ultimate shine, so I`m looking for some products that are not available in stores (zainos, etc.).

Please, if you can, help me in any way possible. I`m new to all this stuff and I want to get the best results. Thanks everyone!

Joshua312
12-17-2006, 02:58 PM
One question before I begin searching for products for you. Do you have a Porter cable or will this all be done by hand? Are you looking to remove swirls?

Thanks,

Josh

redlinegts85
12-17-2006, 03:03 PM
One question before I begin searching for products for you. Do you have a Porter cable or will this all be done by hand? Are you looking to remove swirls?

Thanks,

Josh

I`m not sure what a porter cable is, but I do have a 9" orbital waxer/polisher. I have very little swirl marks, so that`s not my main concern. My main concern is just getting the best shine/cleanest look possible.

Brian_Brice
12-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I`m not sure what a porter cable is, but I do have a 9" orbital waxer/polisher. I have very little swirl marks, so that`s not my main concern. My main concern is just getting the best shine/cleanest look possible.

I think your main concern should be to enhance as much as possible and protect as durable as anything. best shine/cleanest look possible has way too many answers.

Joshua312
12-17-2006, 03:11 PM
If you are wanting to spend around $150 Autogeek.net has a sale right now on Gift Cards where you purchase it for $112 but get $150 to spend. If thats the case let me know and I will make a list for you otherwise just lemme know what range you want to be in. Guaranteed delivery by Christmas if you order by tomorrow.

From where it sounds you are at right now I think Jeffs Werkstatt would be your best bet for ease of use and durability.

redlinegts85
12-17-2006, 03:20 PM
If you are wanting to spend around $150 Autogeek.net has a sale right now on Gift Cards where you purchase it for $112 but get $150 to spend. If thats the case let me know and I will make a list for you otherwise just lemme know what range you want to be in. Guaranteed delivery by Christmas if you order by tomorrow.

From where it sounds you are at right now I think Jeffs Werkstatt would be your best bet for ease of use and durability.

Whoa. I didn`t know it could get that expensive. I was really looking to spend only around $60. I already have a good car wash soap, so I just need a clay, polish, and wax. Hopefully that will not go over $60.

Thanks for your help too!

Joshua312
12-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Oh it can get very expensive :) For clay and wash I would just stick with what you have, I personally just get my clay OTC as well.

Well if your looking for just polish/wax the possibilities are endless. I would suggesst Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger and then maybe get some Prime Strong as well for a base, and maybe some quick wash for when the car is just dusty and you want it cleaned up? These products are a breeze to use and produce great results.

JEFFS Werkstatt: the finest in automotive detailing wax and sealants (http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/index2.php)

If you prefer to use a liquid sealant that you can apply with an applicator my favorite would have to be Meguiars #21

For paste wax I do not have much experience/knowledge but have heard great things about Natty`s Blue. It gives a really wet/reflective appearance.

Of course these are all personal opinions, there are a million answers to this question. I would go through the Click and Brag section and just see which look you like and see what Last Step Product (LSP) they used. Be aware though, without removing all the swirls and proper prep it may not look exactly like the pictures. Prep is 90% of your final results, the other 10% is what LSP you choose.

Accumulator
12-17-2006, 04:17 PM
I was really looking to spend only around $60. I already have a good car wash soap, so I just need a clay, polish, and wax. Hopefully that will not go over $60.

That`s doable, just gotta approach it from the right, most-sensible perspective. Heh heh, that`s not always easy to do here ;)

Given that a) it`s a six year old vehicle, b) you don`t have a PC polisher, c) you`re just getting into the more serious realm of detailing, and d) you want to keep the cost down, IMO it`s a no-brainer (but then everyone has an opinion, this is just mine):

Use your current/OTC shampoo and claybar. Some Meg`s shampoos are OK and the Mother`s claybar isn`t bad (seems identical to the Griot`s and is probably the same as some others too). Spend the money on stuff that`ll make a big difference. Simple, easy-to-use stuff ;)

Note that sealants look best on incredibly well-prepped finishes, whereas waxes can look very good on *imperfectly*-prepped finishes. Getting a sealant-worthy finish is more than I`d advise you to shoot for. I figure you don`t want to spend a *lot* of hours on this project, more like only a day or two, right? But it`s not uncommon for people to post that doing their first major/serious detail takes *hours* per panel, and that`s *with* a PC polisher! That`s a lot to deal with IMO.

Note that you can do a panel or two at a time after each wash, if you don`t mind having some of the car look a lot better than the rest of it. But at any rate, I`d like to keep your time/effort requirements down to something reasonable.

Assuming you don`t need any good MFs (if you do, get some), I`d just get a can of 1Z brand Paint Polish and some Collinite Wax. Those two products will be a huge step forward from where you are now and the two-step approach will keep things manageable. The 1Z PP is *very* user-friendly too, especially by hand (you could try that buffer of yours but I`d probably do it by hand instead). You`ll have money left over and the vehicle oughta look great. And the Collinite wax will last a long, long time.

The 1z PP leaves wax behind, so if you`re really fatigued after doing all the polishing, you can let the waxing go until after the next wash; it`ll be protected just fine.

FWIW, the 1Z PP/Collinite were the last two steps I did on my `00 Blazer after I got it (in very used condition, to put it nicely). It turned out great and I have pretty high standards. No need for anything more exotic IMO (and I do use some real boutique products on my other vehicles). Even non-Autopian friends of mine, who couldn`t care less about detailing, use this combo and like it.

You can get these products (and lots of other good stuff too) at Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) . Don`t worry about the shipping costs, they`re cheaper than some continental-US places.

Junebug
12-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Dude, I started detailing 6 months ago, first it was my stuff, then family and friends - I`ve got around 1100 bucks invested so far and will break even ----soon. If I were you, I`d get the PC w/Edge pads from Autogeek.net, get some Meg`s #83 and #80, then I`d get some Duragloss - 105, AW, and car wash. You may be able to get the Megs and Duragloss at CarQuest, get some microfiber towels at Target, and you`re good to go.