PDA

View Full Version : Fabric softner...

danforz
12-17-2006, 04:39 AM
Hey guys, what happens if my MF, WW, or Sheepskin mitts were cleaned with fabric softner? Bad for the paint or just degrades the towel?

I think my house keeper threw my MFs and sheep skin in the washer dryer with a fabric softener (mitt smells sorta like fabric softner but MFs do not).

steelwind101
12-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi

MF and WW loose there effectiveness at absorbing water when you use conditioner.

My advice would be to just wash them as per normal again to remove the conditioner from the cloths.

Geoff

socommatthews
12-17-2006, 09:13 AM
i always use the rinse cycle twice and add some vinager in the second time.

medic159
12-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Fabric softener, liquid or dryer sheets, is not a conditioner or softener at all. All it does is add a chemical coating (usually silicone) to the fabric to make it only feel softer. By doing this fabrics loose their absorbancy and also become slick so they don`t remove excess polish or wax or buff effecticvely.

White Vinegar, on the other hand, when added to the final rinse cycle will help a fabric shed excess detergent which makes a fabric stiff. A good rule of thumb in maintaining fabric softness is to wash with a good liquid detergent in hot water, use 1/2 the detergent the manufacturer recommends and use 1 or 2 tablespoons of Distilled White Vinegar per towel in the final rinse.

a.k.a. Patrick
12-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Do yourself a favor and perform this neat little test. Wash one bath towel with fabric softener, wash one without. Take both with you when you shower and dry off, and note the differences.

Fabric softener is an actual water repellant........