PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to use a WW

Pages : [1] 2

mikebai1990
12-16-2006, 11:16 PM
What is the correct way to dry using a WW? Here are a few problems I`ve noticed when I was trying out the Walmart WW`s for the second time on my van:

-The WW always leaves water behind when I move the WW around (this is not what I do to dry the car). When I use the blotting method, there is always left over water as well.

-The WW is hard to wring out. Even after I (attempt to) wring it out, it still leaves water behind.

Possible reasons for my problems that I can think of now: Since the WW has only been used two times (I also washed it when I first got it), maybe the performance of the WW will improve after a few more uses. Another possible cause is that the quality of the Walmart WW is not so good. However, hearing the autopians reviews, it seems like it should dry pretty well.

I`d appreciate it if somebody could help me out :)

krouchchocolate
12-16-2006, 11:23 PM
yeah i also have questions. Do you guys just leave the whole towel out apart and wipe the car or do you fold it into like a 4 x 4 box and then wipe the car.

mikebai1990
12-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Well, I usually use the blotting method to reduce swirling. I take the entire towel, slap it onto the car, smooth it out with my finger, and take the towel off. For hard-to-reach areas, I generally scrunch the towel up and dab the area.

03TLS
12-16-2006, 11:32 PM
^^CO-SIGN.

I also usually follow behind the WW with a large blue Microfiber towel that i got from Target to get the remaining water.

Setec Astronomy
12-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Towels don`t have an unlimited absorbtion capability. If you exceed what it will hold, it will leave water on the car. I use a blower to get most of the water off. If you don`t use some method to get most of the water off, you will need a lot of towels. Once they get wet, wringing them will not get them back to dry; after you wring you can use it for a first pass, but you need to follow with a dry towel. Start with one towel, when it starts to leave water behind, follow with a dry towel, when the second one starts to leave water, change that to the first towel, and pick up a second dry one...

imported_GregCavi
12-17-2006, 12:12 AM
I use the blot method.

Greg

Mr. Clean
12-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Towels don`t have an unlimited absorbtion capability. If you exceed what it will hold, it will leave water on the car. I use a blower to get most of the water off. If you don`t use some method to get most of the water off, you will need a lot of towels. Once they get wet, wringing them will not get them back to dry; after you wring you can use it for a first pass, but you need to follow with a dry towel. Start with one towel, when it starts to leave water behind, follow with a dry towel, when the second one starts to leave water, change that to the first towel, and pick up a second dry one...

:up Agreed. The only drying media that I`ve used that can be wrung out effectively is the Absorber.

imported_Surfer
12-17-2006, 12:49 AM
I just pull out the electric blower, get`s 95% of the water left over off quickly (plus less touching equals less marring). Then I just follow with a normal qd`er/microfiber. Never had to use a ww or other large towel for drying. But if I had too, I would use the "blot" method.

BigAl3
12-17-2006, 02:02 AM
sheet the water off with just the hose as much as possible, and it will make drying easier. also when you do this, you don`t have to run the ww across with much pressure to absorb the water, thus lessening the chance of marring/scratching...

a.k.a. Patrick
12-17-2006, 09:50 AM
sheet the water off with just the hose as much as possible, and it will make drying easier. also when you do this, you don`t have to run the ww across with much pressure to absorb the water, thus lessening the chance of marring/scratching...

:ignore Doesnt get any easier. Also, use an associate towel to follow up with. That way you dont have to dry completely with the first one, which will allow for a longer absorbancy period. The associate towel also keeps you from leaning on the car with your hand while drying, and if you need two hands on the car, you might as well be removing water/polish/sealant!:bolt

mikebai1990
12-17-2006, 10:05 AM
I always use the free-flow hose method and the blotting method and it does get most of the water off. I guess I was expecting the WW to be better than the Absorber which I usually use. But it doesn`t matter much. First I`ll use the WW a bit more to see if the performance improves. If not, then I`ll use the WW for the second pass and use the Absorber to get the majority of the water out.

a.k.a. Patrick
12-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Mike the value of the WW is two fold. It also helps deter/reduce marring by capturing any foreign article in the pockets. The Zorber doesnt have that.....

Mr. Clean
12-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Patrick, the other side of that argument is that you should be wiping down a clean (freshly washed) vehicle. There shouldn`t be that much foreign material to begin with. :) Add to that there is nothing magical which would direct any debris into the "pockets".

Not intending to be bashing WW MF towels, I use them. But in all fairness they have their shortcomings, and the Absorber isn`t as bad as people want to make out. When used in tandem them make a nice tool.

Whether you use the Absorber type product or a WW MF, you should never apply a lot of pressure. I just "float" an edge of my towel over the surfce for the first pass and then follow with a second pass if necessary. I like to use a QD type product on that second pass.

mikebai1990
12-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Good points, Patrick, and Mr. Clean. I often find that when I wax vehicles, dirt particles blow around and get onto the paint surfaces. I assume that when washing (and also after washing), dirt particles may very well reach the paint surface and cause marring when dried with a towel or an Absorber.

Thanks for the tips!

BigAl3
12-17-2006, 11:38 PM
:ignore Doesnt get any easier.

it seems to work for me...