PDA

View Full Version : simple green as MF detergeant

fdizzle
12-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Im curious . . .

Have any of you detail nuts tried using simple green to wash youf MF in the washing machine . . .

I have some older, well used cobra indagos that i only use fore heavy compound residue removal and some mf waffle weave drying towels that have been demoted to door jamb duty . . i think im gonna try giving these a wash with simple green as my soap in the laundry, and see how they turn out . . .

whats the worst that could happen . . . some smell remains and i rewash with micro restore . .

ill report back to tell you all how it went (or didnt go)

but if any one feels the itch to chime in here all oppinions and thoughts are welcome . . .

:bigups

mikebai1990
12-16-2006, 11:06 PM
I`d be pretty interested in using simple green to wash my MF`s as well. So far I haven`t used simple green because I`m worried that its degreaser purpose is too much for my MF`s. If it works well, I might add some diluted simple green into my wash solution for my MF`s.

So basically, I didn`t answer your question at all, but I`m interested in hearing the replies as well :)

Spilchy
12-16-2006, 11:51 PM
I do it all the time. I use like a 1/3 of a cup on a hot wash. When this amount dillutes in the wash water it cuts through all waxes and polishes, etc... If it degreases an engine full strength then it`ll clean MF`s when dilluted in water.

I do an extra rinse and use 1/4 cup of vinegar.

Been doing it for about 3 years or so. Towels are perfect!

fdizzle
12-17-2006, 02:13 AM
thank you SPLICHY - thats good to know.

their in the wash as we speak . . ill post my results soon . .

Dan
12-17-2006, 09:10 AM
It does ok for me except for Zaino. I can`t figure out how to get that out of anything.

justin30513
12-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Funny you posted this Fdizzle. I just broke down and bought some simple green this week. I like that you can dilute it making a really good deal. I used it 1:1 on tires and well and the grime just rolled off. Smells nice too. Didn`t take my breath away and make me hack like Purple Power did.

I had some really dirty Micro Fiber mitts that I use to apply protectant to wheel wells with. There were six of them. I didn`t wash them out for about 2 days. I came home and turned the washing machine on warm wash and normal cycle. I use All`s Concentrate unscented detergent normally. I put in half of the recommended amount along with a cup of Simple Green. Worked amazing. All the mitts came out white and fluffy. Smell was neutral telling me the soaps rinsed out well too. The next day when I used them, there were no absorbancy problems.

I think we have a winner here!

fdizzle
12-19-2006, 03:51 AM
Funny you posted this Fdizzle. I just broke down and bought some simple green this week. I like that you can dilute it making a really good deal. I used it 1:1 on tires and well and the grime just rolled off. Smells nice too. Didn`t take my breath away and make me hack like Purple Power did.

I had some really dirty Micro Fiber mitts that I use to apply protectant to wheel wells with. There were six of them. I didn`t wash them out for about 2 days. I came home and turned the washing machine on warm wash and normal cycle. I use All`s Concentrate unscented detergent normally. I put in half of the recommended amount along with a cup of Simple Green. Worked amazing. All the mitts came out white and fluffy. Smell was neutral telling me the soaps rinsed out well too. The next day when I used them, there were no absorbancy problems.

I think we have a winner here!

so an update for everyone . . . i detailed a mini-cooper today . .

washed all my cobra MF with simple green instead of micro restore.

machine wash on hot, regular cycle with 2nd rinse option selected.

all mf came out plush, scent free and more importantly stain free.

this now brings my simple green uses up to 9 uses . . .

wheel cleaner

wheel well cleaner

engine cleaner

pad cleaner

applicator cleaner

tire cleaner

microfiber detergeant

stain pre-treater

undercarrige cleaner

Now i know a lot of people have had bad luck with simple green, or cant stand the smell

but heres the facts . . . its cheap, its clean, its biodegradeable, it does not bother my skin, and it cleans more efficently and effectively than any other all purpose cleaner i have used . . .did i mention you can buy 2.5 gallons of this stuff for about 20 bucks . . . and 80% of the uses i have for this product allow it to be dilluted . . . making it last even further . . .

however . . . proper rinsing is a key factor here. i have found that if, especially with my polishing pads . . . you just gotta rinse the living bajesus out of them . . .

Sergei
12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I use simple green as well on my MF`s. The rationale is that Simple Green is an excellent degreaser. I use regular liquid detergent and the Simple Green just adds a bigger cleaning boost. I also started adding distilled white vinegar in the final rinse. They really come out cleaner and fluffier. In addition, I always separate my underbody, wheels MF`s. I store, wash them separately from the regular MF`s I use on paint.

And a little of topic... I use Simple Green on my white cotton items (i.e. underwear, t-shirts, socks). Hot water, regular liquid detergent, chlorox and Simple Green. Adding Simple Green really gets the whites, WHITE.

mikebai1990
12-19-2006, 04:50 PM
That`s great to hear. Maybe I`ll put some of my MF`s in Simple Green to test out next time. I have a few grunge towels (for wheels, wheelwells) I really need to clean up.

Sergei
12-19-2006, 04:57 PM
If they are super grungy, I would let those dirty MF`s from the wheels & underbody soak in a bucket for awhile before washing. I would soak them 1/2 day at least and then throw the fully soaked bad boys in the wash.

fdizzle
12-20-2006, 03:36 PM
If they are super grungy, I would let those dirty MF`s from the wheels & underbody soak in a bucket for awhile before washing. I would soak them 1/2 day at least and then throw the fully soaked bad boys in the wash.

i agree . . . and here is another idea if you have a pressure washer . . . .

lay the dirty mf out and pretreat with simplegreen. let soak for a few minutes, then blast away with your pressure washer. hit both sides twice, and you r golden to put it in the washing machine.

i do this with the mf i use on wheel wells, engine bays, really bad door jambs, and anythign that i used plastic or especially metal polish on . . . .