PDA

View Full Version : A Few Things I Have Learned

CharlesW
04-18-2005, 05:19 PM
There was/is a thread on another site about things somone has learned in their years of detailing. The idea seemed to be something that might create some discussion here.

1. Detailing does not have to be an expensive hobby, but it can be.
2. You can get excellent results with a great number of products.
3. The most expensive product does not always equate to being the best product.
4. Constantly trying new products is enlightening.
5. Constantly trying new products is interesting.
6. Constantly trying new products is entertaining.
7. Constantly trying new products is expensive.
8. Keeping a nice car nice is much easier than making a neglected car nice.
9. Making a neglected car nice is very satisfying.
10. Knowing that there are other crazies out there has made me feel better about my addiction.
11. I didn’t know near as much as I thought I did. (Still don’t)
12. Much of what I knew was not always correct. (Still isn’t)
13. There is a lot to be learned from the people that frequent this site.
14. How you say something may be more important than what you say.

So, that`s my contribution for today. Sad, isn`t it?

Charles

TraderB
04-18-2005, 05:29 PM
1. It is better to do nothing at all rather than something that makes it worst.

Beemerboy
04-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Number 9 for me is one that I like it always the way I feel.

I have to say that I thought that I was a decent detailer, but what I have learned from this site has made me 100% better, also finding Poorboy product has changed a lot for me.

I would put my cars up against any detailers in my area, most of them are chop shops.

NYV6Coupe
04-18-2005, 05:50 PM
bullet points made very well, charles

I`d like to add this:

A little knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge at all `cause it gives you a false sense of confidence .... and pretty soon you find yourself in
WA-A-A-Y over your head.

JaredPointer
04-19-2005, 08:28 AM
I guess one thing that I have learned detailing is patience. It doesn`t all happen at once, and often times doesn`t happen in one day. :)

It`s also a good way for me to relieve stress and get some "relaxation."

laefd
04-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Good list. You get out of it what you put in.

Just ran across someone with a "Detailing" t-shirt so I struck up a casual conversation to see about products, etc., they were using. Found out a bit more than I bargained for - seems they NEVER use any kind of machine (never heard of a PC and Rotary "only puts in scratches" and is only used for body work), "sealants" are something that only new car dealers sell and is the same thing as wax (if you wax properly and keep your car clean - car wash is fine about once every other week - you can go a year or more before you have to rewax), and baby diapers to remove the wax.

I didn`t bother to get his phone number.

Guess you could add the "didn`t bother to get his number" to the list of things I`ve learned.

CharlesW
04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Good list. You get out of it what you put in.

Just ran across someone with a "Detailing" t-shirt so I struck up a casual conversation to see about products, etc., they were using. Found out a bit more than I bargained for - seems they NEVER use any kind of machine (never heard of a PC and Rotary "only puts in scratches" and is only used for body work), "sealants" are something that only new car dealers sell and is the same thing as wax (if you wax properly and keep your car clean - car wash is fine about once every other week - you can go a year or more before you have to rewax), and baby diapers to remove the wax.

I didn`t bother to get his phone number.

Guess you could add the "didn`t bother to get his number" to the list of things I`ve learned.One of many bad things in this regard is the fact that many people perpetuate this bad information.
A first time waxer with no knowledge or experience would really have to be impressed by the "professional" advice they received.

Charles