PDA

View Full Version : Lighting suggestions in garage

Pages : [1] 2

shumax
12-15-2006, 02:43 PM
I have a three car garage in a new construction home. I have two lights on the ceiling that were nothing mor ethan 75W bulbs. I put 500 watt bulbs in them, which makes it bright, but I am not getting any light on the SIDES of the car.

I was thinking about mounting lights on the walls on each side of the garage. I have an outlet on the one side that would be withink 2` of where I`d put one light. The other side has an outlet about 10` away. I don`t really want to get involved with running new electrical b/c the garage is drywalled already.

Does anyone have suggestions for lighting for this situation? I am thinking about a hallogen "shop" light that has two 4` bulbs in it mounted horizontally on the wall.

Let me know what suggestion you all may have.

Thanks!

txz28
12-15-2006, 03:19 PM
It comes down to what do you want to do with your garage and what is your budget. If you don`t use it for more than storage, anything will be fine.

Other than storage, you need to think about what tasks you want light for, woodworking, detailing... yelling at the broken car. If you want to detail in the garage, not out in the driveway, a combination of lights may be best. Many people mention that this a particular type of paint problem shows up a particular light (halogen, florescent) better. Someone else can probably comment better on that. I do know that when I work from a work light you described, I find that I have a harder time since the light is concentrated in one or two spots and it will glare more. To me, the best lighting is natural sun light, but not direct sun. For man made lights I would like something a little more diffuse. I use a combination of florescents and a portable halogen work light in my garage. They get the job done.

On putting the 500W lights in the socket, make sure that you do not put more light bulb in the socket than it is rated for.

jswatek
12-15-2006, 03:27 PM
My metal halides show everything! I`m not sure if that is good or bad but you won`t miss anything with them!

shumax
12-15-2006, 03:34 PM
It comes down to what do you want to do with your garage and what is your budget. If you don`t use it for more than storage, anything will be fine.

Other than storage, you need to think about what tasks you want light for, woodworking, detailing... yelling at the broken car. If you want to detail in the garage, not out in the driveway, a combination of lights may be best. Many people mention that this a particular type of paint problem shows up a particular light (halogen, florescent) better. Someone else can probably comment better on that. I do know that when I work from a work light you described, I find that I have a harder time since the light is concentrated in one or two spots and it will glare more. To me, the best lighting is natural sun light, but not direct sun. For man made lights I would like something a little more diffuse. I use a combination of florescents and a portable halogen work light in my garage. They get the job done.

On putting the 500W lights in the socket, make sure that you do not put more light bulb in the socket than it is rated for.

Thanks for the feedback! The garage now has a workbench in it, a heater and a few storage bins I built. I`ve attached some photos below---please pay no mind to my filthy cars.

I`m going to finish the rest of the drywall work and then paint it. I`m also going to do the floor. What will I "use" it for? Well, to be honest; most of the time it will be to park my cars in. Other than that, detailing and possibly eventually a "toy" car to piss away my money on. Shhh, don`t tell my wife.:bigups

Storage will be limited to the bins I made and eventually some bins I`ll build over the garage doors that hang from the ceiling. I also have some room in the basement, too.

So, take a look at the shots and let me know what you think.

Thanks again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/shumax/DSC00647.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/shumax/DSC00649.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/shumax/DSC00632.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/shumax/DSC00651.jpg

imported_Detailing Technology
12-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Get a bunch of 48" fluorescents. Just dont buy 4000k bulbs, They dont cut it for detailing. Use the 5200k bulbs., better color and visibility.

I have 12 - 48" dual 32w fluorescents bulbs in my new garage. They are running 5200k bulbs I bought from the internet for about $5.00 per bulb. They are on their own 20amp breaker with 4 recepticles. (2 on each side of the garage) I may experiment with some 6000k`s I saw.

AL417
12-15-2006, 05:55 PM
How do you like the heater? Did you install it yourself or have it installed? I`m looking to add a heater and I`m trying to get an idea of the installation cost. I had one quote of $1300 for the unit and install. I thought that was high considering the cost of a unit to heat a 2 car garage is around $500-$600. I have an attached 2 car garage and the gas line to tap is close. Any recommendations?

shumax
12-16-2006, 08:38 AM
I like the heater a lot! I`m mechanically inclined and would have in installed it on my own if it weren`t for the gas line. I don`t mess with gas. It`s tapped into the line that my dryer uses in the laundry room. The unit was about given to me as my father in law sells them. Th installation cost $400. They ran the line, mounted the unit and vented it to the outside. It`s run on a thermostat and can heat my 3-car garage to 60 degrees from 10 degrees in a little over 30min. It`s powerful!

Good luck!

BSBG
12-16-2006, 11:24 AM
I`d suggest you look at T8 fluorescent, with a 6500K "daylight" bulb. We use them at work for inspection of the final prduct and they seem to work almost as well as natural daylight.

shumax
12-16-2006, 11:31 AM
All good suggestions. So, where do I get some of these products? Like I mentioned, I`m not interested in adding electrical to the area----I`ve done that already and I think there`s enough outlets out there now, save for the wall next to the Ford 500.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

DETAILKING
12-17-2006, 09:09 AM
I have a similar setup as you. My garage is 20x34` and only has three 75 watt fixtures in it. For now I bought bulb splitters and put in the higheset wattage florescent screw in bulbs I can find, so I am running two bulbs per socket, and the screw in florescents give out more light than an incandescent. I would be careful with 500 watt bulbs, make sure your sockets can take them.

I might not be living at this place for much longer, so I just went with an easy upgrade. I bought two 48" florescent fixtures I will hang over the spot where I do the most work. I have not installed them yet but will probably just plug them in and run the wires over the ceiling. I also got 2 of those 300 watt dimming halogen "pole style" floor lamps you use for your bedroom, living room,etc and placed them on each side of the garage. They were about 10 bucks each.

Cheap solution, and plenty of light. When I need more I have a 1000 watt halogen worklight I bought at pep boys for about 25 bucks.

Going Mobile
04-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I`m in the same delimea with only two bulbs in my garage. What about removing your incandascent light fixtures and using the lines from there to power your fluorescent lights?

Accumulator
04-14-2007, 09:39 AM
I wouldn`t remove the incadescents as they`re about as good as it gets for spotting marring.

The compact fluorescents that I tried didn`t show light marring on silver, ditto for any/all fluorescent tubes, even the ones that art galleries use. Only the worst marring shows up, leading to surprises under other types of lights, especially at night.

I`d get some fluorescents on the walls for general illumination, and some halogens that can be moved around.

Going Mobile
04-14-2007, 11:23 AM
I wouldn`t remove the incadescents as they`re about as good as it gets for spotting marring.

The compact fluorescents that I tried didn`t show light marring on silver, ditto for any/all fluorescent tubes, even the ones that art galleries use. Only the worst marring shows up, leading to surprises under other types of lights, especially at night.

I`d get some fluorescents on the walls for general illumination, and some halogens that can be moved around.

Can anyone else attest to this? I was just to go out and buy a bunch of fluorescent tubes. That seemed the way to go here in the forum. I primarily want the lights to help me detail my car in the garage. I have one of those portable halogen stands, but can`t stand it. I have a very small two car garage and have little room to move around the car as it is. I worry that I will trip over the stand and knock it into the car.

I was thinking of keeping the incandescent bulbs but adding that adapter that gives me an outlet or two there. I also have an outlet overhead for the garage door opener, so I can add 4 double 4` long fluorescent housings very easily.

Accumulator
04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Panzer948- Welcome to Autopia!

I realize you want somebody else to confirm/contest what I already posted, but there`s simply no way I can overstate how lousy I find fluorescents for marring-spotting. Heh heh, every day I walk past my still-unpolished M3 and if I have the fluorescents on it looks fairly good; with the incandescents on instead it looks like a horror show. With the halogens it looks pretty bad but not awful.

One exception that (the MIA) Bill D found was with *white* paint. He too used an incandescent for most inspection, but found that certain fluorescents (I forget which tubes he liked best) worked very well on white paint.

There`s an old post around here somewhere in which the Othe PC explained why why incandescents, used in an otherwise dark room, work so well. It`s something about "point-source lighting", where it`s not just brightness and color but also about how certain contrasts show up..the sort of contrasts that highlight scratches. I wish I remembered the details better..to get the straight scoop you`d have to read the Other PC`s post.

OK OK, I`ll shut up and climb down off my soapbox now :o Seems like I post this on a fairly regular basis but it`s only since I switched to incandescents for my final inspection that I no longer have surprises under weird lighting conditions, like at gas stations at night. My painter`s shop has a very nice light setup..exactly what he wants for *his* inspections. But I simply can`t see light marring on silver there...the same stuff is obvious in my shop under a $25 incandescent trouble light.

MorBid
04-14-2007, 10:02 PM
I`d suggest you look at T8 fluorescent, with a 6500K "daylight" bulb. We use them at work for inspection of the final prduct and they seem to work almost as well as natural daylight.

I`ve moved to those in my garage (48") and love them.