PDA

View Full Version : Any Idea How to Clean Those Wheels?

KaeROeS
12-15-2006, 07:50 AM
So I tried to clean the break dust that has built on my wheels but I can`t get it out. Somebody told me that I could spray on some oven cleaner, wait 2 minutes and it would take care of it. Has anyone ever tried that? I don`t want to ruin my clear coat by using oven cleaner. Also, wouldn`t clay bar clean them? Thanks for any help. Here are some pics of how they look.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/Kaeroes/Gti001-1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/Kaeroes/Gti002-1.jpg

Glossequation
12-15-2006, 09:35 AM
It looks like brake dust is burnt into your wheels. I am interested in finding out as well since my g/f`s Saab has this same situation, and I`ve tried everything - I am FORCING her to go with ceramic pads next time, the semi`s on hers dust so badly that after a week the front wheels are black.

Mach30SiR
12-15-2006, 09:39 AM
i`m sure you`ll get alot of recommendations for meg`s wheel brightener. Clay will work also, i`d give that a shot before using an acid based cleaner.

imported_Gears
12-15-2006, 09:41 AM
No way would I try oven cleaner! Try some clay first then AIO, I`ve had luck with that.This might be something that a FK decon kit would work well on.

Cleaning Fool
12-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Clay has worked great for me in the past. Might have to go over it several times

Wetwerks
12-15-2006, 01:45 PM
I agree with Cleaning Fool on the use of Clay first, meg`s wheel brightner is pretty good too. Judging from the picture AIO "might" work from a chemical cleaning standpoint, but you may want to try a light abrasive polish also. Be sure to seal the rims when done, it will help keep that problem down in the long run. You planning on pulling the wheels off completely? Big NO on oven cleaner, heavy acid content.

Walter

Co-owner

backwoods_lex
12-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Go to Walmart and buy a $3 can of turtle wax polish (green label). I used it on my girlfriend`s wheels which were in terrible shape and it worked wonders with a terrycloth applicator. I also used clay magic, but the polish actually worked faster. Good luck.

benvegas
12-15-2006, 03:27 PM
IF you use clay - never let that clay bar touch your car paint ever again. Put it in a baggie or a tub and clearly mark it as WHEELS ONLY!

paul34
12-15-2006, 04:42 PM
You can also try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

that stuff does indeed contain at least 30% magic

imported_DieselMDX
12-15-2006, 05:06 PM
clay, or polish is your best bet. Also I would use PBs wheel sealent after to stop that from happening again

joshtpa
12-15-2006, 06:06 PM
I have been using the Mothers Metal Polish as of late, and it works wonders.