PDA

View Full Version : scratches on SILVER

^&04types
12-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Guys i dont know what tha f flew out the side of a dump truck today but it sound like a few rocks and i knew it could be good. I look at the rear door and there is 3 tiny gashes or scratches and its showing white. any suggestions on how to proceed? the car is silver which makes it somewhat easier. I was thinking OP with white pad to start, if that doesnt cut it move up to an orange pad. Any input is appreciated . Thank you.:angry

Accumulator
12-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Guys i dont know what tha f flew out the side of a dump truck today but it sound like a few rocks... I look at the rear door and there is 3 tiny gashes or scratches and its showing white. any suggestions on how to proceed?

Yeah, try polishing it but don`t be surprised if the damage is through the clear and maybe even through a good portion of the color coat. By the sound of it, it`s the sort of damage that can only be fixed with paint. I dunno how well a touch-up would work, mine never turn out all that well (esp. on silver). Having a pro work on it might turn out a lot better, but unless it gets sprayed (spotted in) it`s never gonna be perfect again. Sorry I didn`t have a more positive opinion to offer :o

imported_JoshVette
12-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Pictures would be helpful??

What kind of car is it too??

I agree with the above.

^&04types
12-15-2006, 09:00 AM
yes its beyond polishing. im jus gonna touch it up and wetsand it. no pics yet. any wetsandin tips?

Accumulator
12-16-2006, 12:20 PM
..any wetsandin tips?

Yeah, be very careful ;) The sanding marks in the touchup paint will polish out easily, the ones in the surrounding original paint *won`t*. You might not want to do the wetsanding at all, it *might* make things worse instead of better.

Use Meguiar`s Unigrit paper, I recommend the 3000 grit but some people would start with something coarser first and then switch to the 3000.

^&04types
12-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah, be very careful ;) The sanding marks in the touchup paint will polish out easily, the ones in the surrounding original paint *won`t*. You might not want to do the wetsanding at all, it *might* make things worse instead of better.

Use Meguiar`s Unigrit paper, I recommend the 3000 grit but some people would start with something coarser first and then switch to the 3000.

How about if i just use the pc and OP to polish and smooth it out? you think that will be self sufficient? what if i did wetsand it and tape off the surrounding area? thanks for ur help

Accumulator
12-16-2006, 04:47 PM
IMO polishing via PC really won`t remove enough to smooth over the touch-up. I`ve been able to remove 3000 grit scratches by hand, but it took quite a while. I wouldn`t be surprised if you could remove them too, but I can`t really guarantee anything ;)

And yeah, taping off surfaces you don`t want affected is a good idea.

tguil
12-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Here you go. The best article on how to do it right.

Repairing Chips & Scratches (http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=27)

Tom :cool:

imported_Totoland Mach
12-16-2006, 09:58 PM
I just finished a 2000 BMW 540iL that had a few scratches on the trunk lid (silver in color). I used 3M 3000 grit pad on the 3M Trizact hand pad with quick detailer as a lube.

Following scratch removal, I used a rotary with Optimum compound at 1200, then glaze + Meguiar`s #26.

You can see some of the scratching in the outline of the lights

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/2000BMW540iL/BMW540iL_2000_TrunkScratches.jpg

Scratches Gone

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/2000BMW540iL/BMW540iL_2000_TrunkScratchesRemo-1.jpg

Totoland Mach

^&04types
01-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Here you go. The best article on how to do it right.

Repairing Chips & Scratches (http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=27)

Tom :cool:

what would you suggest as far as SANDING on a curb rash on the bottom of a plastic sideskirt? the area is pretty scuffed up and def. needs to be sanded. Just didnt know which grade to go with.