PDA

View Full Version : Will be washing the engin this weekend - Advice and tips please?

bsk_500
12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Does anyone have a photo of of the engin prep and ready for a wash? i would like to see what i need to tape up or cover before i wash the engin. thank you all in advance.

BlueLibby04
12-14-2006, 02:50 PM
I just open the hood? What else is there to do? well, may want to get the water hose too..

I just use a bucket and a brush to get in all the tight places.. My engine is never really dirty though.. just dusty..

imported_etml12
12-14-2006, 03:20 PM
I`m pretty sure the info you`re looking for is all in the Guide to Detailing section. Also autogeek.net and properautocare.com have their own engine bay detailing instructions.

bsk_500
12-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Thank you etml12.

imported_JoshVette
12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
I saw a post once where they were using tinfoil to wrap up the electrical components and battery and such then they shampoo`d it.

trhland
12-14-2006, 05:30 PM
just be carfull of the sparkplugs and distributer .what i do is start the engine get it worm then shut it off spray down the motor with a degreeser then blast it off with water then start the engine and let it run for a few

lemans23
12-14-2006, 11:07 PM
If you don`t know about cars, cover anything with wires, and anything that is clearly visible that is a rectangle. More often than not that will be your fusebox, and you don`t want that wet, and you don`t want anything else electronic wet. I use kitchen trashbags and cover the stuff and then kinda stuff the excess bag around or under what I`m trying to cover.

BlueLibby04
12-14-2006, 11:44 PM
It is best to not spray the alternator, coils/spark plug wires, and any other connectors in the engine bay..

Some people cover the alternator and fuse box, but mine all gets soaked when Im offroad and dip the front end under water. The fan catches it and throws it all over the place. Ive never had a problem with any electronic parts.. :up

05corolla
12-15-2006, 12:18 AM
This might sound different from what others has said, but I have always just sprayed a little degreaser/multi-purpose cleaner in the engine compartment, let it sit for a little bit and then and just hosed it off. Afterwards I turn the car on and let it run for about 15 minutes to dry off the excess water in there. I have never had any problems with this process.

derek37
12-15-2006, 12:26 AM
When finished, dress with CD2 engine Detailer